Frankennikon or Frankencanon?

mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited February 12, 2006 in Cameras
I'm not sure which to call it. This would be a continuation I guess of my recent thread on high speed macro lenses. The lens in question is an old industrial Canon Lens XI 77mm f/1.1 I recently acquired. I certainly have a huge selection of other high speed lenses to mount but this one kept calling to me. There just seems something almost perverse about putting a Canon lens on a Nikon body. Perverse sums up what I like pretty well. :wink

The mount was real close in size to a t-mount adapter so I just bored one out to a .003 press fit and here it is...
55959122-M.jpg

55959127-M.jpg

The geared ring is something that came on alot of the lenses I recently aquired. I usually remove them but decided to leave it on this one. I think it adds to the Frankestein appearance of it when mounted to the body.

Comments

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    I didn't have (nor will I have soon) alot of time for samples. I did manage some time to pick up a primrose plant for a few dollars this afternoon and get a few with it on my D100. Both available kitchen light and both at 1000ISO.
    55967231-M.jpg

55967246-M.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 11, 2006
    Must be kinda cool to find these lenses, adapt them to the camera and
    then see what they'll do. Creative use of old, fast glass.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Must be kinda cool to find these lenses, adapt them to the camera and
    then see what they'll do. Creative use of old, fast glass.

Ian
    It definitely is! The amazing thing is how cheap some of them are vs. how expensive some others are. I've seen the Rodenstock TV Heligons go for astronomical prices while the equivalant (definite equivalant perfroming) Kowa goes for not even 1/10 the price. Alot of Nikon users collect old industrial glass and the prices because of this are thru the roof! (I'm thinking of Nikor O and CRT lenses routinely selling for $1500 plus and the recent 85mm 1.0 repro Nikor I saw sell on eBay for $3750.) The odd thing is Canon has apparantly been making these optics for some time and they are pretty good perfromers even. Yet I never hear (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places) of people collecting these or these lenses selling for more than almost giveaway prices. It really is strange.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 12, 2006
    Just depends on what the lens came in originally I guess.

Until you mentioned these, I had never considered their use.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?