Big Air Competition

bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 14, 2006 in Sports
My new sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye came friday, so i went up to the big air competition at my local ski resort to try it out yesterday. here's some of my favorites.....
(first ones not with the fisheye, the others are)
55975418-L.jpg

55975444-L.jpg

55975448-L.jpg

Comments

• bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    i photoshopped out the ski patrol in the first picture.

56141024-L.jpg
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Maybe I am biased against wide angle, but I find it hard to connect with shots that are so far away from the action. I like to see faces, expression, concentration, whatever.

These shots are well done, I just find myself wanting to be much closer. ne_nau.gif
    edited February 13, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Maybe I am biased against wide angle, but I find it hard to connect with shots that are so far away from the action. I like to see faces, expression, concentration, whatever.

These shots are well done, I just find myself wanting to be much closer. ne_nau.gif

I feel you. Sometimes close works well but I don't like it when people just have pictures of people floating in the air with no relation as to where the ground is or what they're doing.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    I feel you. Sometimes close works well but I don't like it when people just have pictures of people floating in the air with no relation as to where the ground is or what they're doing.

I agree that it helps to have a frame of reference in the photo to give it some perspective. BUT, these shots are just too wide for my taste. The boarders are hard to pick out and just don't become the focal point. Enjoy your new lens! I just don't think this is the best application for wide angle.

I took several big air shots last month while in Colorado. They were all taken with an 85mm. Just take care to include some of the surroundings for perspective.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    nod.gif Yep, I agree. I was checking out some Olympics half-pipe shots and every one of them included some ground reference point to give the feeling of how much air these guys get. There definitely has to be a balance between too close and too wide.
    edited February 13, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    I agree that it helps to have a frame of reference in the photo to give it some perspective. BUT, these shots are just too wide for my taste. The boarders are hard to pick out and just don't become the focal point. Enjoy your new lens! I just don't think this is the best application for wide angle.

I took several big air shots last month while in Colorado. They were all taken with an 85mm. Just take care to include some of the surroundings for perspective.

i agree the boarders should be larger so they're the main focus, it was hard to get the jump in and the boarders so you can tell where they're going. i'd like to see your pictures with the 85mm. do you have the f1.8?
  • jamismjamism Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    alright, i know there are limitations to how close you can get... if there isnt or if there is i would get as close as you can. i know its harder then that but you could try right? ne_nau.gif. i shot football for my school, Shawnee Mission Northwest (Shawnee Kansas) i nearly got taken out twice and nicked once. so and i also know that i dont have as much xp as a lot of you, i am only 18. but that is just my thoughts. :D