Sigma vs Sigma

JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
edited April 12, 2006 in Cameras
I'm wondering if anyone who has used both a 12-24 and a Sigma 10-20 would like to comment about the differences in handling and output? :dunno

Thanks!

Comments

• JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Bump
    * Bump * - I too am extremely interested. (Can't decide if between the two - and I have a 5D) I'd like to see/know about the contrast and sharpness quality of both of them.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    * Bump * - I too am extremely interested. (Can't decide if between the two - and I have a 5D) I'd like to see/know about the contrast and sharpness quality of both of them.
    well to start, the 10-20 is for crop bodies, the 12-24 is for full frame (I think)
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    well to start, the 10-20 is for crop bodies, the 12-24 is for full frame (I think)

Yeah - and it has been mentioned here before - but the quality of glass between the 12-24, and the 10-20 (Just looking at the MTF charts) seems different enough to compare the two. I'm almost willing to get the 10-20 and just crop the vignette on my 5D and shoot primarily with my 20D - but anyway I was hoping to find out the quality (Examples?) difference between the two.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    Yeah - and it has been mentioned here before - but the quality of glass between the 12-24, and the 10-20 (Just looking at the MTF charts) seems different enough to compare the two. I'm almost willing to get the 10-20 and just crop the vignette on my 5D and shoot primarily with my 20D - but anyway I was hoping to find out the quality (Examples?) difference between the two.

Here is a link to a 10-20 Flickr tag of someone who wrote a review of the lens at FM, these are NOT my pics. Looks like lots of distortion and CA. Many people report examples with a soft side or corner.

Check it out.

Look the close-up portrait of the man smelling the rose, SUPER distorted that close, but high distortion is to be expected in something with a 102 degree angle of view.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gomox/tags/sigma1020f456exdchsm/
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    ... but anyway I was hoping to find out the quality (Examples?) difference between the two.
    I am not sure I have seen those two compared, but I have seen the Sigma 10-20 compared with many others. For example, a nice review vs the Canon 10-22, (which rates very high)

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/uwatest

here is a summary statement from 'lightrules" (formerly fstopjojo):

"Overall, these are 2 impressive UWA lenses with the Canon being IMO slightly better optically, though the build advantage goes to the Sigma. While I own the Sigma (and thoroughly intend to keep it), the Canon certainly impresses. FWIW, I've reviewed countless full-frame captures of each lens both on screen (and printed out some comparison 8x10s), and by and far, it's EXTREMELY HARD to see any meaningful difference, save for the difference in color tone. If you shoot in RAW, it isn't an issue at all. Both lenses will satisfy as your UWA lens in your bag. And if you don't mind starting at 12mm, the Tokie is a VERY good one too. "
  • europanoramaeuropanorama Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2006
    are the lenses sharp or not in the corners or sides on FF?