Options

Printer question

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited February 12, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I hope someone can answer this for me (or more than one person!).

This post http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=159689&postcount=10 asks exactly what I want to know, except nobody answered him.

How about it...can someone please answer this? I would like to know.

I asked here http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=246574&postcount=6 but got no response.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 12, 2006
    John

I got back into photography big last year after being away from it for a long time; I really did not want to have much to do with it til I could get back to the point of doing all of it-

finally, with extra money from weekend work and prices coming into a reasonable price range camera-wise and printer-wise, I got my camera and my printer last year; I already had the computer-

on the printer, I started with an epson 1280; please keep in mind that I'm aiming primarily to produce high quality b/w; I was not happy with the 1280 and had a lot of difficulty printing what my expectations were--

then the r2400 came out; gave my 1280 to my daughter and bought the r2400--

this printer does everything I want; what I get in a print is what I see on my computer--

I don't really know about any of the other printers; I just know that the r2400 works for me--

it does take some effort getting everything lined up to get a print that you want, but once you get it set up, you print and worry only about when to replace a cartridge (or go the bulk route if your printing quantities)-

to set it up, you need to calibrate your monitor, get your ps settings right, match up your icc profiles with the paper you're using, have all the settings correct on the print preview then the right settings on printer preferences-

I don't use the printer for quantities of print; I might print 2 to 5 a week; I just printed out an 11x14 poster; you can go up to 13" wide and use roll paper-

now, what was the question?-

pm me if you have any more questions, or here--

hope that helps-
    george
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 12, 2006
    to add to my answer, I don't sell any prints; I guess I would if anybody wanted to make a purchase; I am mainly doing it for me and my family-

I believe I will eventually use it in a side business, but I'm a long way from that-

george
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Hi John,
    I own an Epson 7600. When I first sought out (giclee) printing (I'm an artist) to reproduce my oil paintings, I was very unhappy with the results I was getting because 1) their photography of my artwork was HORID, and 2) they just weren't trying hard enough to match colors and contrast, etc. So I thought the only way to get what I wanted was to do it myself. So that's what I did. I went mid range with equipment and have had excellent results, and I'm picky. Selling my own prints was certainly NOT going to be enough income, so in order to help 'pay' for the printer, camera, and supplies, I started to market the archival printing on speciality papers to local artists and photographers. And so far everyone has been very impressed, and I've been compared to printers in the neighboring city. In my immediate area this type of printing is not high in demand, so the income is not enough for me to do it full time. I spend a ton of money on this, (at least for me anyways cuz I'm frugal!) The paper and ink are horribly expensive and it's been quite a learning curve for me. Especially reproducing artwork - every painting is its own challenge. I'm trying to expand uses for my printer to try to get profitable. ie., I'm now subcontracted by two local film developers to do photos-on-canvas prints. There are other uses which I have not yet explored, but as I grow I'm sure I'll consider them. So if you're picky, if there's demand for your work, (or you are willing to offer printing services to others) have the cash (or a large credit card) and time for the learning curve, go for it. It makes a nice homebased business, until Walmart comes along. Have I answered anything for you or did I just ramble?
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341