Will my pictures print?

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited February 13, 2006 in Finishing School
Of couse they will print. :)

But the question is: I have a icc profile from my LAB, and used ut to soft-proof. Works great! I then Converted the picture to that profile. Nothing happend to the picture. So, it will print know exalcy like I modified them is PS? if my monitor is cablirated, which its not. But thats another story.

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 12, 2006
    I'm sorry, but I'm not following your question-

are you saying you've got your proof where you want it but when you print it's without the profile?-

what printer are you using and are you using quadtone inks or something like that?-

george
    edited February 12, 2006
    have I missed a part of another thread?
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    I will retype!

I took a picture with my camera
    Loaded it into my Mac
    Started photoshop
    Opend the RAW image, and make the edits I want
    Opening the RAW pic in PSCS2
    Soft-proof with the .ICC profile from the Lab
    Making edits on the picture, like color correction and dust removal
    Converting the picture to the ICC profile I soft-proofed with
    save it as JPEG
    Closing Photoshop

:)
    Understand know?

Will the picture be fcorrect, even if I converted it into the Labs ICC profile, and also soft-prooft it while working with them?

I hope I make my self understood. mwink.gif
    edited February 12, 2006
    sorry-

I do understand now-

enough to know that I don't know-

is this pretty expensive to get printed just to see if it works?-

can you get them to print a smaller, cheaper test?-

sorry I can't be any more help-

george
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Do NOT convert to your printer profile
    Viking wrote:
    I will retype!

I took a picture with my camera
    Loaded it into my Mac
    Started photoshop
    Opend the RAW image, and make the edits I want
    Opening the RAW pic in PSCS2
    Soft-proof with the .ICC profile from the Lab
    Making edits on the picture, like color correction and dust removal
    Converting the picture to the ICC profile I soft-proofed with
    save it as JPEG
    Closing Photoshop

:)
    Understand know?

Will the picture be fcorrect, even if I converted it into the Labs ICC profile, and also soft-prooft it while working with them?

I hope I make my self understood. mwink.gif

You are NOT supposed to convert to your printer profile. That will mess up the printing process. Your JPEG should be saved as the standard sRGB profile for printing. You use the printer profile only for viewing (soft-proofing) to see what it will look like when printed and which colors are out of gamut and/or how they are converted to colors that your printer supports. You do not convert to your printer profile before printing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited February 12, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    You are NOT supposed to convert to your printer profile. That will mess up the printing process. Your JPEG should be saved as the standard sRGB profile for printing. You use the printer profile only for viewing (soft-proofing) to see what it will look like when printed and which colors are out of gamut and/or how they are converted to colors that your printer supports. You do not convert to your printer profile before printing.

But, BLEH!
    So, the pictures are totaly messed up? I cant convert them back to sRGB and get the same result?

Thank you for your answer btw!
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    But, BLEH!
    So, the pictures are totaly messed up? I cant convert them back to sRGB and get the same result?

Thank you for your answer btw!

Unless your printer requests RGB formated images, I'm assuming that the profile is for CMYK. You might as well convert it because that's what your printer will do the second he opens your file and discovers it's RGB. That is, if he checks. If he doesn't check, the rip will convert for you and you might as well pray because nothing here on earth will save you. He could very well tell you "Hey, that's what you gave me."

You say after you convert, nothing changes. Does that mean that you have now flattened your image, it's now in the target color space, and, using your printer's profile, it looks like you want it to look?

If so, you're right where you want to be and everything has worked the way it's supposed to.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
    edited February 13, 2006
    edgework wrote:
    Unless your printer requests RGB formated images, I'm assuming that the profile is for CMYK. You might as well convert it because that's what your printer will do the second he opens your file and discovers it's RGB. That is, if he checks. If he doesn't check, the rip will convert for you and you might as well pray because nothing here on earth will save you. He could very well tell you "Hey, that's what you gave me."

You say after you convert, nothing changes. Does that mean that you have now flattened your image, it's now in the target color space, and, using your printer's profile, it looks like you want it to look?

If so, you're right where you want to be and everything has worked the way it's supposed to.

Thank for the reply.
    Yes I used "convert to profile" with the option Merage (or flattern image). The images looks exacly how I want them, and they dont change colors if i convert them back to sRGB. So the color wont be messed upp if I send them to the lab with that profile?
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Thank for the reply.
    Yes I used "convert to profile" with the option Merage (or flattern image). The images looks exacly how I want them, and they dont change colors if i convert them back to sRGB. So the color wont be messed up if I send them to the lab with that profile?

If the lab is asking for RGB files, and your sRGB image proofs correctly using their [RGB] profile, jfriend is correct when he says your file should work fine as is, without converting. If, after converting, it still proofs correctly, is should still work fine, as is.

If you want to see what you did to it, in the conversion, go to Image>Mode>Assign Profile (in PS7 and CS) or the equivalent choice under the Edit menu in CS2. It should have the conversion profile assigned to it. Simply reasign your normal working space profile (the one you converted out of), and you will see what changes Photoshop built into the numbers of your image. It took whatever modifications you made with adjustments and hard wired them. The reason you see no change is that you are viewin the newly converted file with the new profile assigned.

Keep this in mind:

Convert to Profile—numbers change, screen preview stays the same.
    Assign Profile—file remains unchanged, screen preview shifts.

I'm a little restricted in my terminology, a function of my prepress background. When you initially referred to having your files printed, I immediately conjoured up the horrors that can result when you let a printer (as in the guy with a press in his shop) do your conversion to CMYK.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski