ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 16, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
56125225-L.jpg

56129128-L.jpg

???????????????????? colors???

Title: The Photograph
Date: 2/13/2006

by ginger

I am not sure. I am not sure if these are two different colors, but then I am not sure if many of the ones entered are two different colors. I was going to name this "Brown Covers Blue", but the title of The Photograph was just toooo good.

Nature around here is pretty colorless, even with the sun shining. Today was cold and windy (this couple walked out there, she took the photo of him, then she ran back to their car while he walked rapidly).

My macro lens is supposed to come tomorrow. But I will be darned if I can think of anything outdoors to shoot, much. And it would definitely be an abstract. The cold is supposed to get colder with the storm from the north moving off, but the air coming down here. So there goes the week... I don't know about next weekend.

What do you all think about this? Bill says, "Huh, yeah, that's good". That is what he always says. There are very few shots he really really likes or is surprised by. And usually they aren't the ones the people on here like. I do like this, I don't know what will come up. When I put things up, I have to not name them in case I change photographs. I think that is awkward.

ginger (I just darkened it, so there are two versions up, the second is just darker)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Hi Ginger,
    I really like your photo, and I think it's very appropriate for the challenge! Beautiful catch! And I think I like the darker version a little better. clap.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I really like your photo, and I think it's very appropriate for the challenge! Beautiful catch! And I think I like the darker version a little better. clap.gif

I agree! Beautiful catch Ginger!clap.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

I am not sure. I am not sure if these are two different colors, but then I am not sure if many of the ones entered are two different colors. I was going to name this "Brown Covers Blue", but the title of The Photograph was just toooo good.

I am not sure either, Ginger. ne_nau.gif And I agree with you about the many of the current entries. There are some nice photos, but in a lot of them I just don't see two prominent colors. Your is a lovely photo (as usual :D ). And it definitely features two colors - brown and blue. I think that the second version is better for the challenge. The colors are more dramatic which I think helps pull the photo firmly into the two color theme.

Virginia

Email
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    I may be picking at nits here, but the crop of this photo bugs me. Is there any way you can recover some more water on the right side where the beach runs into the edge?

This is a stunning photo which fits the challenge. One of your best of late!thumb.gif
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Well, here's my 2cents. The theme is "2 colors" right? I like the idea but I see more than two colors.

Things that distract my eyes:
    people
    skyline

If you could show me a crop without the sky, I might not be so distracted by the people.

Just MHO

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    i'm with mitchell - if you just had the spit on the RHS it'd be great....
    and the second version is better of the two.
    Mitchell wrote:
    I may be picking at nits here, but the crop of this photo bugs me. Is there any way you can recover some more water on the right side where the beach runs into the edge?

This is a stunning photo which fits the challenge. One of your best of late!thumb.gif
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    you're right it does loose something but for this purpose, I prefer w/o people - maybe even better if you crop off the horizon, then you just have sea & sand.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I do have it ok on the right side, but with no people, and I think it loses something without the people.

See, the people came down very fast, I was where I was on a bridge above this, my lens would not give me the people and the spit both. I didn't have time to change lenses. So, I shot. The lens I had on was the 70-200, and it was set at 70mm, so you can see I was trying to get in as much as I could. I was also shooting with the 16-35, that would have done it, however, it was shoot then or forget it. I shot their whole short walk.

This is without the people:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    abstract/realism: The Photograph
    56202449-L.jpg

My husband needs the PC for about an hour, see ya! Is this better........

I haven't seen it, much.

g
    edited February 13, 2006
    I really like your most recent take on the photo. The people add drama. The colors are vibrant. Wow. clap.gifclap.gif I wouldn't have believed it, but losing the sky works well. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    I love the crop G. It really snaps and the people are less of the distraction and more a part of the photo.thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited February 13, 2006
    Thanks Virginia and Johno, but my final versions are over at

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27913

It is the same photo, completely, but instead of just darkening the bottom part, I darkened the top and the bottom, leaving the middle as the important part. I think it helped. Also, I think I used "vived colors" to blend with, speaking of vibrant colors, smile.

Comments over there????

ginger
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    I like the last crop the best Ginger.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited February 14, 2006
    Thank you, Davey.

It is not a crop, though. Just another version as I was working the scene as it unfolded.

ginger (it is full frame, as are the others)
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I also like the last one best Gingerthumb.gif
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I like this cropped version. Makes a nice composition and even a bit of a valentine story today with the silhouettes more prominent!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    56202449-L.jpg

My husband needs the PC for about an hour, see ya! Is this better........

I haven't seen it, much.

g
    edited February 14, 2006
    Just to be clear, Ginger. Your last version "engages" me and that is because of the two people in it. :D

Virginia

Email
  • ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I too like more tightly cropped version, but I find the colors plasticky. I think the colors in your original felt more true to me.

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.
    56402294-L.jpg
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    56202449-S.jpg

I love this one the best off all your beach shots Ginger. It is just two tones working very well together, but it's not forced into the two tonal palete for the contest, it just happens to *be* two. If I was part of the couple taking the shot in there, I'd want a big print of this hanging in my den. Because it is just beautifull.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited February 16, 2006
    Golden Blue
    56427375-L.jpg

and The Photograph

56255953-L.jpg

Thanks all, for the comments! Is it still The Photograph?

ginger