Help with Camera settings for Hockey!!

goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited February 13, 2006 in Sports
I have a Canon 1 D Mk II with a 300 mm f/2.8 IS lens. I am attemping to take photos of my sons hockey team. The lighting is your typical tungsten bulbs. I can see visible shadows on the ice. So I thought I'd try aperature priority. Set the camera on 2.8. Evaluative metering, iSO 1000, white balance at Tungsten, Al-servo auto-focus.

Some shots are ok with the exposure and others are not. Why isn't the camera adjusting for the difference in lighting?

Here are a couple of examples. Basically same location on the ice and much different results with exposure. I will attempt to have exif info available for these photos. Thank you for your assistance...
Greg

56122554-L-1.jpg

basically the same place on the ice but underexposed...????

56122768-L-1.jpg

if this doesn't work I'll try again....! :dunno

Comments

• goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    goodcrna wrote:

if this doesn't work I'll try again....! ne_nau.gif

omgosh, it workedrolleyes1.gifD, Andy your faqs are right on.....
    Greg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    wave.gif

Did you shoot raw? RAW is a must for hockey IMO, you can get the color right, via the raw conversion, setting the white balance yourself - Hockey is Hard :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23533
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26954
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Could this variation be caused by the cycling of the arena's lights?

You must shot in raw and adjust your white balance afterwards.

The first one is spot on!
    edited February 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif

Did you shoot raw? RAW is a must for hockey IMO, you can get the color right, via the raw conversion, setting the white balance yourself - Hockey is Hard :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23533
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26954

Andy,
    I haven't attempted RAW due to the fact that I am shooting pictures of the whole team and I didn't want to spend my life converting and adjusting upwards of 300+ photos. (I suppose I should be more selective on the keepers and the tossers).

Its also something I know very little about (RAW, conversion, and photoshop editing [other than the basics of auto] and batch white balancing). I have been lurkiing on several of your forums and will be attempting a few RAW pictures in the future.
    Thanks
    Greg
    edited February 12, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Could this variation be caused by the cycling of the arena's lights?

You must shot in raw and adjust your white balance afterwards.

The first one is spot on!

You have a good point. Didn't think about the different light cycles...

Yes, I'll try RAW. I just haven't ventured to that format due to lack of knowledge in converting and then manipulating in PS. I don't mind the learning part, I just want it faster than my brain can handle....!!!!!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 13, 2006
    Hiya Greg!

Welcome to dgrin.

This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.

The lights in many gyms and arenas, including ice rinks, cycle. That is they
    are different temperatures at different times. If you shoot raw, this can be
    easily fixed. Otherwise, it's a PITA.

You can shoot jpeg and work really hard to fix them or you can shoot raw,
    learn to batch process the images and be good to go on very short order.
    RAW mode is your friend. Learn to love it. Especially for hockey.

I know what you mean when you say that fixing 300 would be painful. But,
    like I said, shoot raw and you can fix them easily.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    man I need one of those 300 lens deals!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    A dumb question - could it have exposed differently because a good part of the first shot has an all-black jersey in it, whereas the second one is mostly withe? I was just thinking that maybe the camera is making the first one brighter because it's trying to properly expose the darker content. ne_nau.gif

Feel free to tell me what a dope I am! :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 13, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    A dumb question - could it have exposed differently because a good part of the first shot has an all-black jersey in it, whereas the second one is mostly withe? I was just thinking that maybe the camera is making the first one brighter because it's trying to properly expose the darker content. ne_nau.gif

Not likely. More likely is the cycling light theory.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 13, 2006
    Light cycling has my vote...
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Its definately a thought. I do notice that the lack of contrast in the dark jerseys my lenses have trouble acheiving auto focus. I think its most likely the light cycling through different temperatures that might be causing the difference in overall brightness. It couldn't be my amateur status in photographic techniques, could it?????

Thanks for not answering!!!

Greg