Ready, steady.........

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited February 17, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi

Has it been decided if black & white are "colours"?

Here's my post for the challenge, if black is deemed "not" to be a colour in the challenge context.

56184126-M.jpg

I won't have access to a computer (upgrade happening, lots of lovely RAM :D) till next Monday after today so there's no real chance for a reshoot.

However, there a a few others I shot, but I'm not so happy with them:

56184129-M.jpg

56184133-M.jpg

56184135-M.jpg

56184137-M.jpg

C&C please. I need to upload tonight really

Thanks
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    I like the Traffic Lights
    No question, I like the traffic lights the best of the lot. thumb.gif

The funny ne_nau.gif thing is, this same idea had occured to me last night as I was watching the Olymics on the idiot box. But, I definitely like your composition better then the conceptual composition I came up with.

And, in the for what it's worth column, I vote that black and white are not, necessarily, colors within the context of this challenge. OTH, if I had gone with my rendition of the traffic light and captured only the amber light (amber is real close to yellow, right so it all counts as one colorne_nau.gif ), then the surrounding black would be the second color?

Anyway, nice image.
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Thats a traffic light? Way cool! I like it too.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Netgarden wrote:
    Thats a traffic light? Way cool! I like it too.

15524779-Ti.gif Very cool!
  • ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    I think it kind of depends on the picture. There was no requirement on it being purely 2 colors, just that it be dominated by 2 colors. I think your traffic light, which is a neat execution of the concept, is definitely dominated by 2 colors.

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.
    The debate of Black and White
    All colors are derived from the absorbtion or reflection of certain wavelengths of light. Both black and white are included in that process by either fully reflecting all wavelengths or absorbing all wavelengths. So my opinion based on a scientific definition, both black and white are considered "colors" as they both are derived from the full spectrum of color wavelengths. That being said, non-black and white colors tend to stimulate the visual reactors at a different level than black and white. In addition, the play between certain colors allows even further levels of play above the color itself.

Just my one bit worth (I don't think it was worth two bits).:):
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    The second side to black and white
    Back to the debate of black and white. When talking about photography, there are two dominate categories of shooting. 1) black and white, and 2) Color. Huummmm... If this is the case, the debate rages on. ne_nau.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    I think the lights are the strongest shot but maybe a tighter crop without so much black. I do like the idea of the candles though. This didn't help much did it?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto