Is this ready to be whipped?

ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited February 13, 2006 in Holy Macro
This is a cool shot i took at home over the summer. Please tell me what you think of it, and what i can do to improve it.

Thanks B

Canon 20D
Shooting Mode
Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed )
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed
:thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Right off I would say use cropping to square it up.

James.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 13, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Right off I would say use cropping to square it up.

James.
    This is the whipping post man! stick it to 'em!!!

Were you a bit, uh, intoxicated when you took this shot? I've seen friday night college fratboy website photos with straighter horizons!! You know about the handy "measure" device in Photoshop? If you answered no, your homework is to look it up and use it!

(measure tool: it automatically gives you a degree amount by which to rotate the canvas based on a what you draw as a straight reference line)

Secondly, that yellow cast is really really strong. Did you shoot RAW? If so that's an easy fix. If not, you're off to the world of curves.

An interesting geometric shot, but not ready for prime time.

Whip!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Thanks for the advise boys. To answer your question IT, everday is a Friday for me... so sometimes it is hard for me to keep my borders straight!
    Especially when I'm going mad trying to get a straight shot, on a slanty sidewalk, while getting ambushed by mosquitoes!

I will take try and crop this photo better, and mess with the curves a bit to gain depth! Ill repost when this hangover is gone.. i mean when i get around to fixing it!

Thanks
    B
    :thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    One other thing I would suggest if you have the opportunity to reshoot, is shoot it head on. Instead of being slightly to one side, make sure the two posts in the middle are directly one above the other. This will give the shot the geometric perspective that I think it needs. Maybe you did this onn purpose, if so then nevermind! Lol, but I just think if you straighten, remove the color cast, and shott EXACTLY straight on it owuld be a really neat picture.

Lots of potential there!
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    ButterNutz wrote:
    This is a cool shot i took at home over the summer. Please tell me what you think of it, and what i can do to improve it.

Thanks B

Canon 20D
    Shooting Mode
    Manual Exposure
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    Av( Aperture Value )
    Metering Mode
    Evaluative Metering
    ISO Speed

It's tilted, and that's hella distracting. Shoot raw and use the straightening tool, it's the bomb.

The composition is frame in a frame and a leading line, not too bad but it could use more balance. The subject is ... a post or two. That subject doesn't excite me all that much. Got a model? Got a friend that could be a model? See what you can do with some people in there.

Also get a gray card or an expodisc and get your white balance set up right before you shoot in those orange lights.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/