My Take on Colors Two - Blues and Red

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited February 14, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Taking David at his word that photos will qualify for the challenge if they have more than two colors so long as two colors dominate, I have entered the following photo taken near the Chelsea Piers in New York City last Friday. For me, the blues and the red jump out while the other colors give balance and interest to the photograph . But that is just me. :D As always, I welcome comments and suggestions.

56208336-L.jpg

Virginia (home in Boston after having survived the NYC blizzard of 2006)

Email

Comments

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    FG,

I agree the colors come through on this shot and they certainly dominate. I think it is a good one. What is the picture of though? Is this a view of the pier from the top? I think it would help if you had a recognizable object to give the picture a sense of scale.

Erich
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I appreciate your comments, Erich. :): No, the picture is of the top part of the side of a relatively tall building across the street from the piers somewhere around West 20th Street, I think. I have one other shot that shows part of the front of the building. That might help with the perspective. I'll look at it again, but I rejected it on a first pass because the surroundings diluted the impact of the colors. headscratch.gif This take is more dramatic from a color point of view. The price is that the picture is an abstract, which I love but which I know many others don't find appealing.

If I get a chance today, I will work up the alternative and see what you think.

Virginia

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I love abstracts, but this is actually "two" contests. One to get into the finals, the other to be voted on by what are supposed to be our peers.............and lurkers, smile.

I always worry if I care about a challenge, and the group here is not "engaged" emotionally.

There are times, like last time (christening/baby shot), I didn't care, I just loved my photo. I wanted to make the finals and I figured that was the most I could hope for, so I whooped it up when the finals came out, and it was in the list.

This time, I might care, and I might not, but I would be surprised if enough people were engaged in my photo. I only have two more ideas. One of which is not engaging me anymore. If I come up with nothing else, I will hope to make the finals.

I always expect good stuff the last few days. If something like that balloon that was shot a day early, if someone finds another one, and if it comes in and is as good a shot, well, we are all dead.

That all being said, I like your shot Gina, but am not "engaged" with it particularly. I think it might be the particular colors and the amount of white.??? I am not sure as I do like abstracts.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Thanks, Ginger. I agree with your excellent analysis of the components of the challenges and I appreciate your candor about the lack of engagement (a lot). :): :):

When I started entering last spring, I quickly lost any illusions about winning because my taste (in my own and others' photos) very often seemed not to be that of the group. Since then, I have been satisfied with using the challenges as a way to explore techniques and ideas and to learn my camera better. Making the final 10 has been enough for me (although I must say that when I found out that some judges reported having to pick unworthy photos just to get to ten finalists, the joy of making the cut was diminished in a major way :cry ). Recently, I find that I am busy with other photo projects and have decided not to spend so much time on photographing for the challenge. In fact, I had no plans to enter this one until I saw the building the other day and grabbed the shot.

In any event, I think it is pretty clear from the initial lack of response to my post that my photo does not engage the group. Myself, I like it more and more. I love the geometrics of it: The various triangles, the curves, the bite out of the red reverse "c," the texture of the building showing through the colors. I also like the subtle colors (beige and gray) that, in addition to the white and the small bits of red and black, set off the large patches of red and blue.

Well, you can tell. I like the picture and I would like it if someone else had taken it. What can I say? It engages me. So I will probably leave it in the challenge (though I will try to find time to work up the other version to see if Erich likes it better). Depends on how much time I have before next Monday. And who knows, I may come up with an entirely new idea!! ne_nau.gif:D

Virginia

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Virginia, I entered the last challenge with a shot that my kids did not like, nor did my other photo experts, some outside of this group, some inside. And a few liked it.

Sometimes that is just what we do, I think! "they" say that our shots are good, if we think they are!

I am not having a good day, have like 4 new lenses, the macro 100 never used, so I might use this as an excuse to get out, but I am under no delusions here.

Except, that I already have that one beach shot that I am ecstatic over, even if not flasy colors, it will stand me in good stead, I hope, in the future. If not for this challenge I would not have been there when the couple happened to walk on the beach to take a photo.

So, as you said..................if you have time play with it. You have one shot you love, you are ahead right there.

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    FG,

I do like the photo and now that you tell me what it is I don't think there's another crop or composition that would get the strong geometric and color contrast you get with this picture. I think it works as an abstract...to a point. Again, if you had a small but recognizable object in the frame then I think the picture would be more "engaging", though as it is I find it eye-catching at least.

Erich