Opinions on Canon 70-200 f/4

nburwellnburwell Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited February 15, 2006 in Cameras
I'm looking real closely at purchasing this lens. I'm a college student on a budget, and would love the f/2.8 but my it's out of my price range. I'm just looking for opinions of those who have or currently own this lens and what your honest opinion of it is. I'm primarily going to be using it for birds and the occasional sport shots. You can post up sample pics if you'd like, but I'm looking for for what you personally think of it. Thanks!
-Nick-
20D l BG-E2 l 17-40L l 24-105L l 50mm 1.8 mKII l 430ex

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    I love it.

8169994-L.jpg

44387151-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 13, 2006
    Here's another of my wife (ain't she cute? :D ):

38481773-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    I love it too. BUT. It may not be long enough for sports, and it almost definitely is not long enough for birds. When I have used it for sports (professional sports), I have had to crop the shots quite a bit. I have yet to get close enough to birds to take any decent shots (but then I don't try that sort of thing too often).

So I would just suggest you make sure 200mm is enough for your needs. Other than that, it's a very nice lens!
    edited February 13, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I love it too. BUT. It may not be long enough for sports, and it almost definitely is not long enough for birds. When I have used it for sports (professional sports), I have had to crop the shots quite a bit. I have yet to get close enough to birds to take any decent shots (but then I don't try that sort of thing too often).

So I would just suggest you make sure 200mm is enough for your needs. Other than that, it's a very nice lens!

Good points. I don't shoot birds or sports.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    I have the lens and I really love it. Very sharp and not too heavy. I use it on a 20D and it gives plenty of reach. You won't be disappointed.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love it.

8169994-L.jpg
    your daughter (s) are way cute. i dont say that about everyones kids. some kids to me just dont look cute - but i think your daughter on the right is very photogenic.

TROY
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Here's another of my wife (ain't she cute? :D ):
    nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    nburwell wrote:
    I'm looking real closely at purchasing this lens. I'm a college student on a budget, and would love the f/2.8 but my it's out of my price range. I'm just looking for opinions of those who have or currently own this lens and what your honest opinion of it is. I'm primarily going to be using it for birds and the occasional sport shots. You can post up sample pics if you'd like, but I'm looking for for what you personally think of it. Thanks!

I can't really comment on the lens since I'm a Nikon shooter but I do have a 70-200 2.8 on my Nikon and I can comment on the length for sports. Good, not great. Obviously the closer the better but it depends on the sport. For cycling a 200 is fantastic since you can get nice and tight when you're already very close to the action...

31955789-L-2.jpg

But for pro sports like baseball or football where I can't get as close I find myself counting my pennies for a 200-400 f/4. It's nice but a serious crop and these are minor league seats which aren't too bad.
    24779747-L-3.jpg

For amateur/college sports I'd say it's a very good length. I've done hockey with mine as well and been pleased. I'm not sure what Canon offers but a 70-300 f4-5.6 might be worth it if it's not much more and offers good light at 200. Just a thought...good luck!
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • nburwellnburwell Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Thank you all for your thoughtful and posts and sample images from the lens. After thinking it over, I'm going to purchase it from B&H later today. Thanks again!
    -Nick-
    20D l BG-E2 l 17-40L l 24-105L l 50mm 1.8 mKII l 430ex
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    You will not be disappointed, it's a great lens.

49441616-L.jpg
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    I like mine too. I find it hellaciously good for portriats. It works well w/ a set of extension tubes too. I figure it's probably the last zoom in this focal range I'll ever buy. The 2.8's are just too rich for my blood..