Options

Difficult Shoot

LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited September 23, 2004 in People
I am in no way a professional but a big D100 with MB-D100 with a mean lens like a 80-400 VR can get you into a lot of places. I got these from the floor of the Repbulican Convention in NYC a couple weeks back. It was a very difficult shoot because there wasnt one conistent light source and light was low.
All shot with the 80-400 VR (the VR saved my life) on 400 ISO, hand held, no flash.

8251634-L.jpg

8251644-L.jpg

8251640-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2004
    cool
    LBG wrote:
    It was a very difficult shoot because there wasnt one conistent light source and light was low.

Very nice shots! I'm assuming no flash? Nice shot of Cheney, you didn't get any irritating reflections on the glasses.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    wow
    Nice shots, LBG. Couldn't have been easy, but they turned out sweet! That's a great lens. Where did you get yours? I'm shopping for prices! Can't wait to see more.

bruce
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    LBG wrote:
    I am in no way a professional but a big D100 with MB-D100 with a mean lens like a 80-400 VR can get you into a lot of places. I got these from the floor of the Repbulican Convention in NYC a couple weeks back. It was a very difficult shoot because there wasnt one conistent light source and light was low.
    All shot with the 80-400 VR (the VR saved my life) on 400 ISO, hand held, no flash.

Excellent shots. I'd say you did an amazing job with the situation.

What are your feelings on the 80-400 VR? I've been thinking about getting one for some time now but haven't pulled the trigger. I have found one used for $800.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    80-400 Vr?
    I love the lens because of the length and VR.
    It is all metal and a tough lens. AF is a bit slow but Im not shooting sports so that doesnt really matter to me but what is slow is the 4.5-5.
    If I had it to do over again I would consider the 70-200 VR and the TC-20E II 2X to extend out to 400. The extension does cause you to lose 2 stops (4.5) which at 400 is faster by one stop than the 80-400.
    Long story short, it depends on your budget and what you are going to use it for.
    The 70-200 and TC20 option is $700-800 more expensive.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    LBG wrote:
    I love the lens because of the length and VR.
    It is all metal and a tough lens. AF is a bit slow but Im not shooting sports so that doesnt really matter to me but what is slow is the 4.5-5.
    If I had it to do over again I would consider the 70-200 VR and the TC-20E II 2X to extend out to 400. The extension does cause you to lose 2 stops (4.5) which at 400 is faster by one stop than the 80-400.
    Long story short, it depends on your budget and what you are going to use it for.
    The 70-200 and TC20 option is $700-800 more expensive.

Thanks for the reply. As many people here, I'm working on a tight budget. I've been saving for a zoom for many months now, and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. $1000 is my limit, anything cheaper would be great. Thats why I decided to look at used lenses.

Dave
  • Options
    If you can....
    If you can get the 80-400 for $800 used GO FOR IT.
    It is a great lens that you wont regret buying.
    Dont know what/how you shoot but here is how I carry it around---dont like bags much. My 24-120 VR is my daily/all purpose lens but I carry my 80-400 in a Lowepro #3 with a Lowepro Neck Strap. When I want to switch out I just drop the 24-120 VR in the larger bag. Works perfect for me and protects the lens like a dream.