http://sushant.smugmug.com
sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Good Attempt...
    Sushant wrote:
    In an improvised light tent.

Not that I could do any better, cause I probably couldn't.....but notice how the glass seems to lose it's stem? like the glass does not appear to be complete cause the whiteness has blown it out ?

Also the bottom of the the Wine Bottle.......the top is in focus and is clear but the bottom has some kind of shadow cast on it and is not in focus, it appears quite blurry and grainy ???

You are definitely on the right path.......maybe you need to shoot at a slightly different angle??

Hopefully someone else can offer you some advice, I don't consider myself to be that good at this type of photography, I was just trying to offer you some suggestions ..... don't give up, I think you always have it. thumb.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Hi Skippy,

Thanks for your comments. These are exactly the type of things I want to flush out before trying any real work.

I think I'll need to work with multiple layers with different level adjustments with appropriate masking to get those wine glass details back.

Some adjustments with curves might get the bottom of the bottle looking better. It does appear washed out. Next time I shoot, I'll also have to keep an eye on DOF.

This is a lot tougher than I had originally estimated!

Thanks again!
    - Sushant

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Oh yeah! This is not as easy as one might think. I've spent all day setting one of these up and shooting over and over. :D

You did real good. I think you need a different angle though. Your white background looks nice and white. You could also try a darker background to get that clear glass.

Very good start.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    replace wine
    its a good start-i agree with the comments on the blown out stem.

i have a good book on food photography and one method photographers use to get the wine looking better is to replace it with a clearer wine coloured liquid-something like blackcurrant cordial and water might do-similar colour but no particles to cloud things up and stop light from shining through-try whatever you have handy to get it right-you want a wine colour but more light coming through the contents so that the backlighting provided by the tent can be fully utilised

food photography appears very demanding! i wish you good luck and perserverence.

greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    nice photo :):
    my idea
    Take shot from top including full bottol and a glass from same angle iloveyou.gif pleas try it i dont have that bottol and glass :cry
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 15, 2006
    neat shot and neat thread-

informative-

also, your idea sounds good, Awais-

george
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    black boards
    will reflect on the stem of the wine glass to give it definition -- you'd need to remove them in post process.

I read this while looking in google for product photography glass... lost the link, and never tried it myself.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Sushant wrote:
    In an improvised light tent.

56275899-M.jpg
    I've done some crystal and blown glass myself. I've found that clear crystal is hard to photograph against white, it looks much better against black, shows more detail in the glass. That presents a problem, however, because of the dark wine bottle and the dark wine itself. I would pick what you want to stand out and then optimize that. What do you want the viewer to draw his attention to?

Next is the leaning of the glass and bottle. This is unavoidable because you are shooting close and down. This same effect happens when you photograph tall buildings by looking up from the street. This is what tilt-shift lenses are for. I wouldn't be too worried about this. Play the lean to your advantage in some manner (no clues here).

I would actually try an environmental shot. Where would you expect to find a bottle of wine and a glass? Dining table would be one, next to a dinner. But then the shot gets much more difficult. I've never tried anything that complicated though my ex-girlfriend has quite often. Very demanding but well worth the effort.

You'll be able to play with this shot for weeks if you want to. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 15, 2006
    Bill-

re the lean-

does crop perspective not work on that?-

or maybe to a certain extent?-

george
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the excellent comments and suggestions. thumb.gif

I'm still going to work on this particular pic but I'm also going to venture into pictures of orange and lemon slices! woohoo!
    - Sushant

• MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Just a few questions...
    before I make suggestions..

1. What are you using for backdrop? Is this a tent?

2. What are you using for lighting..where is the light compared to the subjects?

I was thinking that what it may pay to do is to shoot both the glass and bottle further away from eachother so that the bottle doesn't reflect in the glass, and then post process it and remove some space between the two items.

If you don't want to post process, then it might be a good idea to use two different lights to light the objects. That way, if you have a semi-weak light lighting the glass from the left side and the same from the right side for the bottle, a slightly slower exposure and a circular polarizer should ensure no reflections, and should make the glass of wine really stand out without getting blown out.

If you aren't using a tent, then another alternatives is to use one, or set up some screening to soften your light a bit.. Getting away from the white background might help, but if you go to something too dark, it might not bring out the wine..I suggest a very light colored grey.

One last thing. Your bottle is tall, so switch to portrait orientation for the camera, and bring the camera down so that you are looking straight on at the bottle and stem and can see the whole bottle. If possible, I would frame it so that the right and left sides of the image allow you to see maybe a centimeter past the right and left sides of the two objects. But with that type of image, you may find you still may need to do some cropping if the image comes out too long from top to bottom. Another alternative is to pull back a little evenly so that maybe a few inches show to the right and left side, but equally. Then maybe use a third light from the top to put a spotlight on the bottom of your backdrop to highlight the items.. And again, if possible, you want this light to be screened so that it comes through soft..

I might have an opportunity to do something like this this weekend..

Hope this helps...