narrowing it down

bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
edited February 15, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok...i'm torn between the two. i like the in your face of the orange/yellow, but there's something that keeps my interest more in the blue yellow. if i went with the blue/yellow, i'd reshoot to get the whole thing in frame and focus more on the front than back...but anyways.

56340272-M.jpg

56321484-M.jpg
Pedal faster

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    hmmm, i can see you have a hard time deciding. I like the orange better than the blue, but i like the one square of a different color better than just one color.... Between these 2, i would go for the 1st. Can you get the second one with the yellow and orange? or would that take too long? :D
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 14, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Can you get the second one with the yellow and orange? or would that take too long? :D
    you assume i know how it got there in the first place!
    Pedal faster
  • gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    If you can't get the whole cube in frame then you could think about using a black background instead of white. Since black is already the base color of the cube, you won't be introducing another "color" element into the photo. I'm also partial to the yellow/red colors, and I like ivar's idea of swapping the square in the middle like you did with the blue/yellow.
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
    edited February 14, 2006
    gfxartist wrote:
    If you can't get the whole cube in frame then you could think about using a black background instead of white. Since black is already the base color of the cube, you won't be introducing another "color" element into the photo. I'm also partial to the yellow/red colors, and I like ivar's idea of swapping the square in the middle like you did with the blue/yellow.

yeah, i had thought of the black background....not sure if there's any special considerations for shooting against black or not though.

off to the technique thread...
    Pedal faster
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I like the idea a lot! thumb.gif I prefer version #1. Pure. Less gimmicky. Also, I have trouble with the fact that the focus point in version 2 is on the lower portion of the front side and the top row of the front where my eye goes first is out of focus. If you are going to reshoot, you might want to play with improving the depth of field to get a bit more in focus.

Good luck!! This idea is really worth pursuing. :D

Virginia

Email
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 14, 2006
    I like the diagonal lines in #2, stronger composition. But like you already said, it needs to not be cutoff. Do it!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    i'm going to go against popular opinion,
    I like your second idea better! Excellent!

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited February 14, 2006
    thanks for all your feedback.

i'm gonna reshoot with a black backdrop and mess around with the second one some too.

we'll see how it goes.
    Pedal faster
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    I like the colourcombo in the second one. iloveyou.gif

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/BasicFactsheet____2863.aspx
    edited February 15, 2006
    my attempts at the black background. (yes, i know the reflection on the first one is distracting. grrr.)
    56420369-M.jpg

56420371-M.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    i still like the 2nd one better
    thumb.gif good job on retake!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    2nd one, please.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 15, 2006
    Definitely the 2nd one! thumb.gif
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    This is my favorite:

56420371-S.jpg

Is that #4?

<geek>Way back, I used to be a consistant 40-50 second solver!</geek>
    Chris
    edited February 15, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    This is my favorite:

56420371-S.jpg

Is that #4?

<geek>Way back, I used to be a consistant 40-50 second solver!</geek>
    hm, i suppose it could be 4...or part 2 #2. either way, that's the one in the whipping post. :uhoh

i had no idea that there was a "cubing" subculture until i had to google to find instructions on how to put this thing back together. there are people who do sub 20 second blindfolded. amazing.
    Pedal faster
  • turnipturnip Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    i like the first one the best (the first first one). it's almost like it's sticking out through the monitor at me. blam! but if you can maybe use a polarizer or something to get rid that reflection, the 2nd first one is super cool too as the black background makes the squares look like they are just floating in space.
    edited February 15, 2006
    turnip wrote:
    i like the first one the best (the first first one). it's almost like it's sticking out through the monitor at me. blam! but if you can maybe use a polarizer or something to get rid that reflection, the 2nd first one is super cool too as the black background makes the squares look like they are just floating in space.
    ok i admit it. i liked black #2 the best so i didnt bother getting rid of the reflection on black #1, but you motivated me. here go:
    56435876-M.jpg

edit: now i'm torn. i actually like this one too!
    Pedal faster
    edited February 15, 2006
    This one is definitely more in-your-face and abstract...after removing the glare, I kind of like this one better. umph.gif
    bigwebguy wrote:
    ok i admit it. i liked black #2 the best so i didnt bother getting rid of the reflection on black #1, but you motivated me. here go:
    56435876-M.jpg

edit: now i'm torn. i actually like this one too!
    ~Laurie~

• ReWriteReWrite Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    gfxartist wrote:
    This one is definitely more in-your-face and abstract...after removing the glare, I kind of like this one better. umph.gif

I think I still like #4 better. I love the way it looks like it's just hanging there.

Ian

Canon 20d, digital rebel, 17-85 IS, 100 2.8 macro,
    10-22, 100-400L IS.