Winter blooms

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited February 15, 2006 in Holy Macro
Yes this stuff is suppose to bloom. C&C always welcome.

Ths first two Don and I both tried for a month to get something half good. Any tiny bit of wind really messed things up. The witch hazel was a real PITA (2nd shot).

56327910-L.jpg

56327750-L.jpg

We managed to do some what better with the conifers, I think.

56328552-L.jpg

56327868-L.jpg

56327734-L.jpg

Thanks for looking

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Love That Second Shot
    Thusie wrote:
    Yes this stuff is suppose to bloom. C&C always welcome.

Ths first two Don and I both tried for a month to get something half good. Any tiny bit of wind really messed things up. The witch hazel was a real PITA (2nd shot).

We managed to do some what better with the conifers, I think.
    Thanks for looking

Hey Thusie...... what sort of plant is that second shot of ???
    Gosh that is so pretty......the first shot looks like stings of beads don't they. ....... nice series thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Thanks Skippy

The second shot is a Witch Hazel, they bloom in mid to late January and are really that color, at least that variety is. The beaded looking one is a Pieris.

Glad you enjoyed and thanks for taking a look.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    Wow! All nice shots. I've never seen anything like the first three. They are all great. Is that third one a conifer? It looks like a tiny rose bud. Very nice. I'm glad the wind didn't blow. I'll bet you were holding your breath.:D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited February 15, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Wow! All nice shots. I've never seen anything like the first three. They are all great. Is that third one a conifer? It looks like a tiny rose bud. Very nice. I'm glad the wind didn't blow. I'll bet you were holding your breath.:D

Thank you very much Snappy. Yes the 3rd is a Globe blue spruce. The wind; I had no clue till I started using the 60 mm macro just how much a tiny puff of wind would move thingsumph.gif So yes held my breath and put the camera in burst. The Witch Hazel was the worst, I bet we took over 100 shots of those tiny flowers before getting one half sharp then had blown highlights:D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Great shots- love the last one- wonderful composition.
    Brian V.
    edited February 15, 2006
    Thank you very much Brian!

Any tips on dealing with wind? I'm not talking noticalbe wind just tiny puffs?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    I really like your last one, Thusie. That macro is a different breed of cat, isn't it!

I used mine for the first time yesterday. Nothing really "macro" to shoot.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Nice pictures. We have a Witch Hazel too, and it's only now started to blossom. It got damaged one year, and that made it's blossoming unpredicatable in timetable and amount of flowers. Let's hope for a good year this year, since I really love those flowers in winter.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited February 15, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I really like your last one, Thusie. That macro is a different breed of cat, isn't it!
    ginger

Thanks Ginger and yes it is. Can't wait to see pictures from your 100!
    edited February 15, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Nice pictures. We have a Witch Hazel too, and it's only now started to blossom..

You have them too?? How cool is that! I would love to see pictures of yours once in bloom.

The bloom is nice in winter. We only have one so far, we hope to get a few more this year.

Thanks for looking Marlof
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Hi, Thusie,

One is here, I put it on the challenge, too. don't know if I will leave it there.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28037

I need to find more subjects, but I did birds yesterday and kite surfing, too. Just couldn't work in the macro with those, smile.

A wildlife festival is at the end of the week, I might stay home today. Who knows with me. I could go for flowers outdoors at Magnolia Gardens, or I could go to the aquarium, but my back is getting quite sore, don't know why. Smile.

Hey, check out my ultra wide kite surfing on sports:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=248974#post248974

I am almost out of ink, and this guy owns a shop of this stuff and wants to see some. These are my faves, and even though I shot with the 400, too, all my faves are with the 10-22.

I really do love that last one of yours. I love the way it fades into bokeh.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 15, 2006
    Those kite surfing shots are very cool! Nice job Ginger! You and that WA are a perfect fit. Oh think the fish shot is a hoot. That whole Godfather thing will be running around in my brain the rest of the day..Thanks a lot:-)umph.gif