Need Advice And Help -please

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited February 14, 2006 in Finishing School
I have some files ready for print......however runing them thru the Smugmug shp cart I do not like the avail crop......tooooo many years learing to crop in camera.....now I have a new monster to use (aps-c sensor).
I want the whole pic I took to be printed on the "standard" photo papers [8 x 10, 16 x 20 or 30 x 40].

1- is there a thread that covers this dilemma?

2- should I be ready to put a small frame around each photo to achieve a WYSIWYG in my retail gallery, which I do not mind doing as each print should be matted and framed anyway?

3- How do I make the frame the right size, is it different for each print size.

Part of my dilemma stems from wanting to place my signature in photo when I am in ps and do not want it cropped out, and I cropped the scenes in camera, so they are tight.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    You have to leave extra room on the long dimension when composing
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have some files ready for print......however runing them thru the Smugmug shp cart I do not like the avail crop......tooooo many years learing to crop in camera.....now I have a new monster to use (aps-c sensor).
    I want the whole pic I took to be printed on the "standard" photo papers [8 x 10, 16 x 20 or 30 x 40].

1- is there a thread that covers this dilemma?

2- should I be ready to put a small frame around each photo to achieve a WYSIWYG in my retail gallery, which I do not mind doing as each print should be matted and framed anyway?

3- How do I make the frame the right size, is it different for each print size.

Part of my dilemma stems from wanting to place my signature in photo when I am in ps and do not want it cropped out, and I cropped the scenes in camera, so they are tight.

I'm not sure if you are talking about what to do about your current photos that are already tightly cropped or what to do in the future. I'll offer some comments on future shots.

If you know or imagine that you will be wanting to make or offer prints in a bunch of different aspect ratios, then your only real answer is to leave some extra room around the photo when you compose the shot. In particular, you mostly need to leave extra room on the long dimension because that's what get's severely cropped at 8x10 and 16x20.

If your sensor has a 2:3 native aspect ratio, then you will need no cropping for 4x6, 8x12 and 20x30.

5x7 will crop 0.5" off the 7" dimension or 7% of the long dimension.
    8x10 will crop 2" off the 10" dimension or 17% of the long dimension.
    11x14 will crop 2.5" off the 14" dimension or 15% of the long dimension.

So ... the only answer is to leave up to 17% extra composition in the long dimension when shooting if you want your users to be able to make decent 8x10s from any of your shots.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question