Options

Refurb Lenses

GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited December 9, 2004 in Accessories
Well I picked up a lens, a Canon EF 80-200/4-5.6 II from B&H (I prefer zoom's). Being the cheap bastard I am, I bought the lens marked as "Used".

To my suprise, it came in a Canon box that was marked as "Refurbished", "Used". Let me tell ya... It's just like a new lens!!! :clap But for far less than new (even for 'gray' market lenses).

My question is... Where can I get more refurbished lenses?!?!?!? If they are all like this one, I want more!!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 23, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    Well I picked up a lens, a Canon EF 80-200/4-5.6 II from B&H (I prefer zoom's). Being the cheap bastard I am, I bought the lens marked as "Used".

To my suprise, it came in a Canon box that was marked as "Refurbished", "Used". Let me tell ya... It's just like a new lens!!! clap.gif But for far less than new (even for 'gray' market lenses).

My question is... Where can I get more refurbished lenses?!?!?!? If they are all like this one, I want more!!
    Great question I agree!! Maybe Andy or some of the locals in NYC could research this topic in person in B&H and report back here?

I bought a used 200 f2.8 Olympus lens for the OM series years ago from B&H and it had been used hard and put away wet. The glass was sharp but the lens barrel looked like it had been through the war, so YMMV.

But Refurbished sounds great. Maybe these are the Canon lenses that people return becasue they do not feel they are up to Canon's usual quality and they get refurbed and resold?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2004
    Sounds great. I have only bought one new lens. All of the others were used, and I'm 95% pleased with the quality of them (one was slightly more worn that I was expecting.) Great way to save money on pricey glass.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great question I agree!! Maybe Andy or some of the locals in NYC could research this topic in person in B&H and report back here?
    Andy, being the resident expert, do you have any information?
    pathfinder wrote:
    But Refurbished sounds great. Maybe these are the Canon lenses that people return becasue they do not feel they are up to Canon's usual quality and they get refurbed and resold?
    That is what I think I got. B&H did mark the lens I got as "10 - Preowned equipment, but appears as new" on their web page when I ordered it. But what I recieved was "R - Refurbished by the Manufacturer to original company's specifications and is in Like New Condition"

I want more "R - Refurbished by the Manufacturer to original company's specifications and is in Like New Condition" lenses mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2004
    Just a follow up on referbushed lenses: I finally got around to calling Canon and spoke to a lovely lady about this. Basicly, you have ask a Canon dealer about refurb'd lenses and stuff. Canon won't sell their refurbished products directly to the public.

She agreed that it is a shame that Canon doesn't really promote their refurbished products. She personally has purchased alot of her own photography equipment as refurbished and has had great success with them. Abet, they don't have a warrenty of any kind, but all the equipment has been throughly checked over (she personally thinks they do a better job checking their refurb stuff than the stuff coming straight off the line).

So, you have to ask, and maybe be a little persistent to get refurbished equipment.
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    Excellent value
    Every lens I own, except for the Digital Rebel kit lens and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (which was a new release at the time), I purchased secondhand--and they've all been in very good to excellent condition. Sources include KEH, Adorama, and individuals on eBay and a photography forum site or two. Personally, I see little reason to buy lenses new. Besides, my "dream lens," the Canon 200mm f/1.8, is only available on the used market. :D

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/