Options

FINALLY!! iPhoto gets some oomph

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited May 11, 2004 in Finishing School
When can we get our hands on the new iPhoto? I just ordered a new 17" PowerBook and I might actually like iPhoto now. And I hear they added subfolders.

17index_bottom_09172003.jpg

Comments

• Options
    john gomesjohn gomes Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2004
    iPhoto
    I just purchased a new 15" 3 weeks ago and I don't see that feature of sub folders in the iPhoto sold with that machine.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2004
    Yeah, it wasn't there and the forums were full of people complaining about it. Also, it was slow when you got a lot of photos.

Steve Jobs wouldn't let them have subfolders because they confuse some people, but eventually they prevailed.
  • Options
    Too Many ToysToo Many Toys Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2004
    Yeah, iPhoto (current version) is OK for basics but I think that most members of this forum would use something a bit more powerful (Adobe Photoshop Elements or real Photoshop).

I'm kinda' disappointed that I bought a new PowerBook in late December & still have to pay to upgrade to the newest 'iLife' suite. :sad:

BTW Baldy, are you a full-time Mac user?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    When can we get our hands on the new iPhoto?

I think on January 16th. It is supposed to be much faster and handle up to 25,000 images. I will be curious to see how well it works.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    iPhoto will change the industry
    Baldy is not a full time Mac user - yet :D. But after using Panther on the new Powerbook, it will only be a matter of time. I have already pre-ordered my copy of iLife and plan on giving a complete run down here of all the changes when it arrives. Personally, I think that the most underrated new feature is the Rendezvous sharing part. After seeing how great iTunes (and all the other rendezvous apps) is after it came along, I can only imagine how many cool uses iPhoto will produce. At any rate, I see iPhoto soon changing the industry like iTunes has done - just wait and see!
  • Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    iPhoto
    Mac user here , eMac-800mhz-80GB-512Ram , Have iPhoto and Photoshop Elements .
    Will new iPhoto be available as a downloadable upgrade , or will existing users need to purchase the whole iLife suite?
    I wind up using iPhoto mainly as a viewer , saving any revisions for Photoshop. Would really be nice to be able to store large numbers of photos where they would be easily accessible.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2004
    iPhoto no longer free
    Apple has moved iPhoto into the realm of paid for software updates. You can only get it in the iLife '04 suite, not standalone. As far as I am concerned, I would rather pay for software to ensure maintenance and future versions. Plus, $50 is not bad considering that I also get newer versions of my other favories, plus a new one that looks cool. :)

BTW: Here are some pictures of the new iPhoto:
    http://www.appledx.com/iLife/iPhoto4/
    gypsy77360 wrote:
    Mac user here , eMac-800mhz-80GB-512Ram , Have iPhoto and Photoshop Elements .
    Will new iPhoto be available as a downloadable upgrade , or will existing users need to purchase the whole iLife suite?
    I wind up using iPhoto mainly as a viewer , saving any revisions for Photoshop. Would really be nice to be able to store large numbers of photos where they would be easily accessible.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    When can we get our hands on the new iPhoto? I just ordered a new 17" PowerBook and I might actually like iPhoto now. And I hear they added subfolders.

17index_bottom_09172003.jpg

Welcome young Jedi , too long on the Dark Side , May the Force be with you. :D
  • Options
    GadgetDonGadgetDon Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2004
    I'm really looking forward to the new iPhoto. I've used it since it first came out, and this is very cool.

With that software, and the software for uploading easily to smugmug, I'm going to be very happy!
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2004
    Party at GadgetDon's house!
    Hey GadgetDon,

Man, I just had a look at the arcade games you build and you must be the one whose house everyone wants to visit!

I'm actually fanatically in love with OS X, which relative to JT only means lukewarm. He's a lunatic.

The problem is the absence of games....
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    PC user, Mac ignorant. (Actually, PC ignorant too.)

Is iPhoto sorta like ACDSee? A way to organize your shots, look at them?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I have not used ACDSee, but probably similar? ne_nau.gif

If you want to see what iphoto is all about check it out
    here at Apple's website.

It is a basic photo organizer, editor and is integrated in to Apple's other software to make life easy, be it to email a photo, make a webpage via a .mac account, or use a photo in imovie and burn to a dvd. There are a lot of nice features and it is easy to use.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    Apple has moved iPhoto into the realm of paid for software updates. You can only get it in the iLife '04 suite, not standalone. As far as I am concerned, I would rather pay for software to ensure maintenance and future versions. Plus, $50 is not bad considering that I also get newer versions of my other favories, plus a new one that looks cool. :)

BTW: Here are some pictures of the new iPhoto:
    http://www.appledx.com/iLife/iPhoto4/

Ok , you talked me into it, just ordered new iLife suite from Apple Store.
    Anxious to be able to load & access all my pics in one place. Will it load on top of existing programs? Will I need to delete old iTunes,iPhoto etc?
    :awesome:
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2004
    The reason you bought a Mac
    After seeing how fast you could scroll through 25k photos I was sold - you will not regret buying it :)

When you run the installer, it will update all your applications for you - no need to delete anything at all. If you have them in your dock as shortcuts, those will be updated as well, no need to change them.

gypsy77360 wrote:
    Ok , you talked me into it, just ordered new iLife suite from Apple Store.
    Anxious to be able to load & access all my pics in one place. Will it load on top of existing programs? Will I need to delete old iTunes,iPhoto etc?
    :awesome:
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2004
    ACDSee is a great program for Windows and dealing with large amounts of graphic files. iPhoto is similar in features, but has the added perks of being tied into the OS and sharing itself to other applications. Things like choosing an ablum for a screensaver in one click, etc.

wxwax wrote:

• Options
    edited January 12, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    After seeing how fast you could scroll through 25k photos I was sold - you will not regret buying it :)

I cannot wait to see it do that. I have never really used it simply because it was slow. Only four days to go. clap.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2004
    Sub folders in iPhoto
    Speaking of iPhoto 4, I can't seem to figure out how to make hierarchial albums -- the sub-folder.

My Library comes up with sub-folders pre-made: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, most recent, etc. I see menu options to create an album and smart album, but not a sub-folder. Further, dragging albums only re-orders them. I can't drop an album on top an album to place it "under" that album.

What am I missing?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2004
    Nothing. Iphoto 4 does NOT allow subfolders, period. The yearly folders you see are generated automatically.

Major bummer there. At least it's faster than before, I use it for family pics only, have added about 4200 this year and it's still fast as recently-installed.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    At least it's faster than before, I use it for family pics only, have added about 4200 this year and it's still fast as recently-installed.

And what percentage of that 4200 has a baby in it? mwink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    Well, given that they are strictly family pics, about 120%? :D

No, seriously: probably around 60%. Lots of weddings this year (:puke1)