Well? C58 ginger, WELL?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 17, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
new thread:

56402294-L.jpg

56255953-L.jpg

Both photos are full frame. Neither one is a Crop.
I took the fish photo yesterday. That one I took with the macro lens.

I may take more photos, may join the aquarium,
and I may not.

So, please keep an eye out. Since I have these new lenses,
and since Charleston's weather appears to be getting better, and with
a huge Wildlife Exposition starting Friday, I might be posting more, but only
if I think they are two colors will I post here.

Comments and thoughts on my decisions are welcome!
as usual,

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    nice pun...
    quote: "So, please keep an eye out." :giggle
    56402294-L.jpg
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    there's something fishy about this thread, but i can't quite put my finger on it...:D:D
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Ginger,
    I love the beach shot. Your recent efforts really paid off with improved lighting and saturation. Too bad you couldn't get the woman to move more the the right so she would not be bisected by the shadow on the beach.

There is also a small dark speck on the upper portion of the sand which should be cloned out.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    The beach shot, love itthumb.gif But I got to say every time I see that fish head the " he sleeps with the fishes" pops to mind.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    I prefer the beach shot. Everytime I see the fish I am struck by how dead his eye looks. Is that a bit of ice on it? Technically the fish picture is really good but thematically it's too creepy for me - despite the pretty colors. As I said, it's the beach for me!! I don't mind the placement of the woman, but you could use a little PS slight of hand and move her if you are so inclined. rolleyes1.gif Can't wait to see what else you come up with before Monday.

Virginia (awaiting delivery of her Valentine's Day present - a new 70-200L/2.8 IS lens)

Email
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    I loved the beach shots when I first found them (a half hour or so ago) and I still prefer it to the dead fish. (Those eyes just wig me out.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    56255953-L.jpg

or

56427374-L.jpg

Title: Key Of The Sublime
    2/14/2006

Thanks all for looking at the fish and the beach. I did the kite surfer the other day, I put it up on sports along with the rest of the series, but I just cannot "leave" it. So, I wanted to get anyone's take on which of these, The Photograph or The Gold and Blue (or something for a title, but those are the colors).

ginger
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Ginger,

Both shots are lovely. Just me but I think #1 suits CH58 better.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    For the challenge, #1 definitely. But, boy, is #2 a beautiful photograph. :wow I love the feel of it - the softness of the light in the sky. The more I look at it, the better I like it.

You know, Ginger. I'm awfully jealous. Week after week, you get loads of gorgeous shots inspired by each challenge theme. I just get loads of junk cluttering up my hard drive. :uhoh Which tells me something I think I will choose to ignore. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    picture 2 is a perfect example of a picture i never see. By that I don't mean I never look at that kind of scene, just I don't see it.ne_nau.gif

Beautiful.

Jim
    edited February 16, 2006
    junglejim wrote:
    picture 2 is a perfect example of a picture i never see. By that I don't mean I never look at that kind of scene, just I don't see it.ne_nau.gif

Beautiful.

Jim

Thanks, Jim! I don't really exactly see them either. I mean I knew there was a sunset, didn't want to shoot right into it. I really wanted to be closer to the surfer, but I knew I wasn't there, so I shot on my way. With the only lens I had on.

Then I edit, boy do I edit. I often remark that I am more of an editor than a photographer. That photo was not cropped, but there was some darkroom work, a bit. A flare, etc. I just play with stuff, and then edit some more. Then I bring them down to smugmug, and I edit some more. Hopefully I end up with something. I happen to love and adore that photo. But it was not what I went out to get, but I am on a campaign to get more of them now, somehow.

I have printed out an 8 X 10 picture sheet with 6 photos on it of this and the kite surfer. He owns a shop and is not a novice. That was all in my favor. He wanted to see what I got and he played to me. So, I am going to take these into him, the sheet, see if he wants some prints if I can come down and shoot him some more. I hope we were made for each other.

Then next time the scene will probably be totally different........ When he first jumped up at me I screamed and was shooting a burst, luckily he was in it.

It was a lot like shooting birds, seagulls as he kept coming back, but the action varied. I did have it on al servo to catch the movement. I don't know on this one, but I did on the action ones.

ginger
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Holy sh*t ginger... your work just keeps getting better and better.

:jawdrop

Seriously. Your work really stands out now.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    #1 is the one I was refering to, but oh my #2 is nice too.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited February 17, 2006
    Thanks, Cabbey! I am so torn on those two shots as to which one to enter.

I am going to be taking some non chal related shots today. Who knows. I know a lot of people have liked that first beach shot since I put it up. I like the muted colors in the second shot, but I think that those who prefer the first shot for the challenge are probably correct as since this is a colors Challenge, the bright colors will probably be better. I can change in and out, and I do like looking at both of them.

There are some really good shots up there! And a whole weekend to go. Our weekend is supposed to be rainy. But shots always come in at the end. I don't envy the judge(s).

ginger