Options

Changing Lenses

c18913c18913 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 21, 2006 in Technique
I'm baaack, with another beginner questions. OK. My Canon 20d is my first SLR. My question is for those who are experienced with SLRs, digital or otherwise: Is there a "proper" order to changing lenses?

What I mean is, in what order do you
-- take the lens off the camera body
-- take the back cover off the next lens
-- put the next lens on camera body
-- put back cover on the lens you just took off

I'm sure this probably sounds like such a stupid question, but I feel so clumsy changing lenses and it makes me nervous to have my camera body open while I'm fumbling around with lens caps and such.

I was hoping that you experts have an order that makes the whole process go smoothly, but maybe I just need more practice ....

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    My technique
    1. Push lens release button
    2. Twist lens
    3. Remove lens
    4. Put lens in camera bag
    5. Take out new lens
    6. Remove any caps if not already off
    7. Put lens on camera
    8. Twist lens until locked.
    You may notice that there are no real steps to prevent dust. That is because in a practical way, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. So I concentrate on using a system that reduces the chances of dropping a lens, the much larger danger than dust.

Moral of my story, don't worry about dust, worry about dropping a lens. Keep your lens removal technique simple and reliable. Clean your sensor when needed.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Myself:

1. Place camera on it's back
    2. get other lens ready
    3. Press release and rotate lens all the way to the remove position but leave it on the camera
    3. remove caps from other lens
    4. swap lens quickly, and lock new lens onto the camera
    5. recap lens removed from camera

But guess what, I still have dust, there is no magic cure, just buy a copper hill cleaning kit and get used to using it.

James.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 15, 2006
    I pretty much do the same as Shay and James. My thought process is that I should try to get the lens off and the new one on as fast as possible. If that means leaving end caps off until I have accomplished this, no problem. I find that I can always brush the removed lens with a lenspen before capping if necessary :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    One thing you can do to reduce dust on the sensor is to be aware of the wind. If it is very windy outside and dusty try to change lenses out of the wind, in your car or any available shelter. You will still get dust in your camera body but it will be minimal compared to what you would have had.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    One thing you can do to reduce dust on the sensor is to be aware of the wind. If it is very windy outside and dusty try to change lenses out of the wind, in your car or any available shelter. You will still get dust in your camera body but it will be minimal compared to what you would have had.

15524779-Ti.gif VERY important. I actually also hold the camera body upside down in my left hand, while the lens is off. I also have the cap on the new lens already loosened, so that I can get it off easily.
  • Options
    artieartie Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Ok, this one looks like a good choice for my first post. This is the sequence I follow each time:

1. Place new lens near camera with back cover facing up, lens cap down.
    2. Completely loosen back cover, but leave in place.
    3. Remove current lens and set next to new lens, lens cap down.
    4. Lift back cover from new lens and place on lens just removed.
    5. Attach new lens to camera.
    6. Tighten back cover on removed lens.

During this whole process I try to keep camera vertical to reduce likelyhood dust or hair falling into opening but, like previous poster, am dubious of its value.

Rick
  • Options
    goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    I agree with Shay. It is much more important to concentrate on keeping your lenses safe. Then utilize all of the above suggestions as your lens changing skills increase.

You say a stupid headscratch.gif question, but in actuality, a VERY practical thumb.gif one. I'll be utilizing all the suggestions posted.
    Greg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Someone (andy maybe) told me to turn the camera off too.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    Someone (andy maybe) told me to turn the camera off too.
    I was waiting for someone to mention that. As it was explained to me, an energized sensor is a handy dust magnet. Turn off the camera.

Personally, I always pair up the caps from the camera and the current lens. That way they're always together, easily found... and when mated, no dust can get onto either cap.

When about to change a lens, I turn off the camera, loosen the lens cap of the new lens, face the camera down, remove the current lens, move the loosened lens cap onto it, then insert the new lens. Then I tighten the lens cap on the old lens and square things away. Funny how often I forget to turn on the camera again.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Savas KSavas K Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2006
    I figured by now someone would come up with a shoebox-sized "clean room" for changing lenses in.
  • Options
    c18913c18913 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Thanks everyone for great practice advice ... I'm working up to dealing with the "art" of photography, just now, I'm still trying to get the basic mechanics down!:):

A follow-up .... in your camera bag, do you put your lenses in lens down or lens back down?

Thanks and have a great day
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    c18913 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for great practice advice ... I'm working up to dealing with the "art" of photography, just now, I'm still trying to get the basic mechanics down!:):

A follow-up .... in your camera bag, do you put your lenses in lens down or lens back down?

Thanks and have a great day

I usually put them in lens side up so I can mount it without further flipping or manipulating.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Savas K wrote:
    I figured by now someone would come up with a shoebox-sized "clean room" for changing lenses in.
    Nice idea.

Questionheadscratch.gif - how do you clean it after you have opened it the first time to put your camera in it? The action of putting the camera in the "clean room" will contaminate it. And, it will only get worse with each introduction of the camera/lenses into the bag.

However, once that problem is solved, then there might be a solution.