Options

uv filter on? off?

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited February 17, 2006 in Technique
I keep a uv filter on my lenses-

if, for instance, I have the camera set up on a tripod for a portrait, I'll take the filter off, but taking candids of my grandson today, I left it on--

what's recommended?-

thanks
george

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    ohhh, i read an article about this very debate awhile back.... wish i could find it.:uhoh

anyways, after reading it i came to the realization that UV filters degrade the Image quality, and yes, they're good in some instances for weather sealing *like the 17-40* but today's front elements are strong enough glass that a few specs of dust, or wiping it with your shirt tail/tie isn't going to scratch up the glass... as a matter of fact i keep Lense cleaners for my glasses on-hand just in case...

but yeah, if i can find that article i'll link it.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    DanielB-

thanks much-
    I'll be looking for it-

george
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    ohhh, i read an article about this very debate awhile back.... wish i could find it.:uhoh
    but yeah, if i can find that article i'll link it.thumb.gif

I don't know if this is the one you were thinking of, but have a look:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    danielb and aaron-

that's great!

thanks much!

george
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    MrBook2 wrote:

--Aaron

nod.gif thats the one.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    fIlter off unless needed......if your lens is 20 yrs old or so I might suggest a skylight but even back then I found that screw on filters were a prob, cause crap still got under them and where the H*** did I put that filter wrench....oh yeah it is back in the desk drawer.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    UV filters were useful for film as film is sensitive to UV. However, digital is very insensitive to UV and no filtering is needed.

I don't have one and I don't use one. I only use filters if they have an effect I want to use. When done, I remove the filter.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    thanks all-

george
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Use a filter when you NEED it. UV for lens protection is so yesterday. Use a lens hood, and BE CAREFUL.

Yes, of course, put a UV or Sky1A on when you're at the beach or somesuch place. But for normal shooting, it's more an annoyance/hindrance than a benefit.

My .02
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Don't tell anyone, but I use UV filters for protection, then again, I am a klutz and so "yesterday" myself.

ginger (who can never keep track of the lens caps) I didn't have it on my 400 for about 6 months, nothing bad happened, but my UV filter on my 17-40 was all scratched up. One scratch was so bad I don't know if I could have sold it. I think one needs to know oneself, also that lens was always being banged on. The 400 has that attached hood thing. It did not seem to attract the banging that the wide did.

As an old lady, I do things. (Maybe I should put a UV filter on my face for protection from falls and on my feet so I don't have to replace tennis shoes from pluff mud suction.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    andy and ginger-

thanks much

ginger-

although I don't consider myself old (I'm sure anyone under their 50's would roll their eyes at that), I do consider myself crazier than hell at times, so your comments are something to think about-

george
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Well........
    I would tend to agree that a UV degrades the image.
    BUT I noticed that the newer HMC's....PRO-1's and MRC's with multiple coatings are clear as a bell when put on pure white paper.

I tend to throw my camera over my shoulder when hiking a trail and tend not to have the lens cap on. (Nothing is worse than seeing a bird...bug or whatever and having to remove the cap!) Boink...GONE!

Hell yesterday I was in a hurry to get out the door and jammed my 105 face first on the door way! UGGGGG if I hadn't had my UV on...........I woulda said a lotta bad things!!!:wow But no harm was done at all!
    Lenses cost a lot and to scratch the delicately coated glass would be a tragedy to put it mildly!
    Optical glass is much softer than typical glass. I had a friend once ruin a $500 lens by not having a UV on and a tree branch brushed the optic.
    Was about like a diamond scraping glass!!

Mostly the only time I take off the UV is for macro shots.

Kinda like being at a construction site without a hard hat on. There might be that one time you don't have it on and........

I look at it as a safe guard for my hard earned investment!
    But if you are gonna use a UV spend a few bux more for the multi coated higher end.
    There is a difference tween cheap and expensive!!

Bottom line to all this rambling.....it's just a matter of person's preference!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Boink...GONE!

... Lens Hood.... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Hehehehe your probably right.
    I have the habit of only using one in extreme light. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Time for me to eat some crow!
    MrBook2 wrote:

--Aaron

After reading this article/link my previous post was a waste of typing/rambling!:bash
    I might add it's a important read!!

Sorry Guys I come from the old school 35mm days....guess things have changed! ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Don't mean to beat a dead horse!
    I found this.....is it BS?
    http://www.2filter.com/faq/multicoatedfaq.html

But then again I found this!
    http://www.iphotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19010

Maybe my bottom line wasn't in vain? headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Andy.....Shay

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Repeat-eth after me-eth
    A filter is not a lens cap.

Andy.....Shay
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006

Gotchya I think-eth? :D

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    there's also the line of thinking that says "I'd rather 'ding' a filter than the threads on the lens itself, such that I couldn't put a filter on."
  • Options
    silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2006

When you walk into a bakery, you should not be surprised to come out with a cake. 2filter.com sells filters. Not surprising they would have an article extolling their presumed virtues :):
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    False sense of security
    Would you use and egg-shell helmet to play football? Egg-shells are tough and are used to protect sensitve growing birds from harm. But compared to the strength of the human head, they are no match and quite useless in that capacity. What you need to protect the head is somthing stronger and tougher *than* the head.

Similarly with a camera lens. You need something tougher than the lens to protect it from harm, not something weaker and more delicate than a lens.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    there's also the line of thinking that says "I'd rather 'ding' a filter than the threads on the lens itself, such that I couldn't put a filter on."

15524779-Ti.gif but your gonna get the same thing I got....put a lens hood on. rolleyes1.gif
    Which makes perfect sense unless you don't wanna have a big ole lens hood on a already good size lens.

Still sounds like a matter of preference to me.
    But then again I didn't wanna stir things up over this.umph.gif

Controversial subject yet again in photography I guess? ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    silica wrote:
    When you walk into a bakery, you should not be surprised to come out with a cake. 2filter.com sells filters. Not surprising they would have an article extolling their presumed virtues :):

VERY true...point taken!

• Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    silica wrote:

That may have been true up to a few days ago but you may well walk out with a Rose of Muhammad nowdays. Goes well with a plate of freedom fries.

You just never know what your being sold unless you examine the contents very closely.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I must agree with Andy....Remember just HOW CLOSE that filter is to your precious lens and if it breaks, which way is the breakage going....into your lens.....if that lens hood gets dinged most won't just break [ok, I'm not refering to the cheap plastic ones I toss anyway from the lens mfg co...I am talking the "good" rubber and metal ones here] and they also protect your lens threads.

Personally, I get a step up ring [ or a really cheap collapsable lens hood and remove the cheap rubber] and find a "sony" or other brand of hard rubber hood for a video camera [broadcast type cameras...usually their hoods are 72mm up] [the one I am currently using on my 28 to 200 is glued to a 72mm collapsable hood ring] and epoxy them together.....this has saved my butt a few times ....the rubber absorbs the shock of short falls.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    well, I shouldn't be surprised--

there are more responses and looks on this thread about filters than any and all of my threads with pics--

I'm gonna take a pill and go to bed--

have a good weekend all and please oh please don't look at any of my photos because I would rather you DISCUSS WHETHER OR NOT TO USE A DAMN UV FILTER!
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    have a good weekend all and please oh please don't look at any of my photos because I would rather you DISCUSS WHETHER OR NOT TO USE A DAMN UV FILTER!

Maybe if you post some with/without filter comparison shots you could drum up more interest rolleyes1.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    I would rather you DISCUSS WHETHER OR NOT TO USE A DAMN UV FILTER!

Oh great, now there is another version of this infernal filter we have to deal with :uhoh

I wonder what this one purports to do? Whatever it is though, it doesn't sound too good. The marketing people should really do more homework before deciding on product names.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    you guys might not want to give up your day jobs--

I know I'd better keep mine-
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    oh, and I just took my pill--

it can get ugly--

well, maybe irritating-