D200 in stock at Circuit City online!

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited February 19, 2006 in Cameras

Comments

• nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    JohnR wrote:

Isn't $1700 alot of money at this point in time in this DSLR market which is about to undergo a price war with 3 new and big electronic giants about to enter?

Regards, Nicholas
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Isn't $1700 alot of money at this point in time in this DSLR market which is about to undergo a price war with 3 new and big electronic giants about to enter?

No, it isn't, if you compare it to what the D200 has to offer. Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to see Sony/Konica Minolta, Panasonic/Olympus (esp. them, since I'm using the FT mount myself) and Samsung/Pentax to do well, but I can't see them giving much more value for much less money than the D200. I think the Nikon mount is a very safe bet to invest in when it comes to the future.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    When I talk about investing for the future, I'm not talking about bodies, but about the system you're buying into when you get a specific body. After all, next to the body you'll probably buy a few lenses for that body too. I don't mind my camera body to be worth next to nothing after three years of usage. I would mind if I couldn't get a new body for my four thirds mount in three years, since that would mean my four thirds lenses would be less useful. I don't think anyone going for a D200 would run the risk that the investements in the Nikon system, other than the body, would turn bad because three electronic giants support different mounts.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006

Regards, Nicholas

Sure. You can wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And be paralyzed by indecision - all the while not enjoying the goodness that is the D200 (or CameraX)... there's always a new camera coming.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Sure. You can wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. And be paralyzed by indecision - all the while not enjoying the goodness that is the D200 (or CameraX)... there's always a new camera coming.

nod.gif
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Or you can buy everything new that comes out and then sell it used a couple days later here on dgrin. :D

James.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    My local camera shop just got some in - they actually had two in stock and one on display. I played with it for awhile and was quite tempted. I has a great feel. I'm in the market for a DSLR (used an EOS 10s for ~10 years). I've convinced myself to wait and see what Canon offers in the weeks ahead since I already have some Canon lenses but the D200 sure looks like a nice option..
    thumb.gif
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    I saw a D100 with grip, used, at Charlotte Camera for $700. Add to that the fact I sold my CF memory for less than 50% of the original price, and all of a sudden the digital cameras are not so hot! As production ramps up on the new models the prices will decrease. But no we are getting into another topid altogether....

Dang! Circuit City is sold out!
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Dang! Circuit City is sold out!

Bestbuy has them in stock now:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7633313&type=product&id=1130987191339
  • SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    I've been on the waiting list for a D200 at my local camera store for quite a while now. I usually like to support my local retailers for ease of exchange, plus, I just like to support the little guy. They've had their cameras on order since November and have not received a single camera yet.

I did finally get a chance to play with a D200 at Best Buy. They didn't have any for sale, but did have one demo. It didn't have a lens or a battery, but I made the juvenile sales clerk take the 18-55 off of the D50 and hunt down a battery and I finally got to play with it.

The camera feels and handles like a digital F100 (that's a good thing). It feels very solid. The viewfinder was a revelation. It's been so long since I shot film that I've forgotten what I was missing with a bright, large view finder. They had a 20D next to it and the viewfinder was extremely similar for brightness and size.

I like to shoot PJ style, wide open with my 50 1.4 lens. One of the biggest problems I have shooting with my old S1Pro is it only has one center focus point. That means I do a lot of focus and recompose and a lot of the time the focal plane shifts when I recompose and I lose the intended focus.

The focus points on the D200 seem to be nicely placed for my style of shooting. Also, the joypad is extremely easy to use for changing the focal point. I had trouble selecting the focal point I wanted with the 20D's little joystick.

I had considered switching to the Canon 20D. The difference in cost between the two cameras would easily have paid for a new Canon 50 1.4 lens. I guess the biggest difference maker for me is the focus point selector. If I could get used to the joystick, I might change. But the D200 also has spot metering attached to the focus points and that is extremely useful for backlit subjects.

So, I guess I'm giving up on waiting my local store and I'm going to start sniping Best Buy and Circuit City. They seem to be the only stores getting cameras.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    I had one in my hands in Orlando, and it felt great. I have the D70, so I am used to Nikon. The D200 feels good, it is a nice machine, it has some emprovement on the top as to the buttons. Nice LCD screen, and if you have lenses already, I don't think the body is overpriced.
    It is again a sturdy camera, which I like. I would love to save up for one...
    (I will have to, I can't convince my husband that my d70 is not good anymore).
    The only reason why I would want the D200 is that it goes to 100 ASA, the D70 starts at 200, too high to my liking.
  • SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Having iso100 would be a boon for me as well. My S1Pro only goes down to iso320. I would like to use shallow depth of field outside, but the 1/2000 shutter and iso320 limit my aperature choices.