Travel Photography Tips Needed

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited February 16, 2006 in Cameras
I am going to Mexico for a few days bonefishing.

This of course means in a small boat, around sand and salt water. I was going to take my little Canon SD100 point and shoot, but really want the flexibility to take better pictures. I dont get to do this very often (and I am going with my father for his 79th birthday), so its kind of a special trip.

I have a new Rebet XT and Tamron 28-75 lens. Right now only small top load case and no filters or flash.

Any tips on keeping it clean? Things to especially watch out for?

My plan now is to have the camera in a zip lock bag, inside the case - this keeps it dry and protected. I will take it out to shoot and put it back in. This limits a bit spontaneous shots, but does keep it out of the elements.

Now I know a true photographer thinks of his camera and lens as simply a tool - to use and be used up by its need. But lets face it, this isnt a trivial amount of money and protecting it just makes sense!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    How about one of these?

17361.jpg

Only $250 at B&H, seems like a good investment to protect your $1000 camera gear. Or just get a waterproof bag, just in case:

400245.jpg

I have one of these bags, a smaller version, and it works fine with my cell phone, even when I am snorkeling...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 16, 2006
    If it werre me, I'd probably purchase a P&S for this environment - or even an old film camera of some kind. Small flats boats tend to be wet, salty, and gritty, like you said not the greatest environment for a camera, let alone a digital computer.

My reason for concern about using baggies, is that you may trap humidity within them and then let it diffuse into your cameras and lenses innards. This can lead to foggy lenses, and electrical gremlins in the camera.

I used to carry a small 35mm film camera for grabbing shots of fish landed, scenics, snapshots, etc. In my mind, it was an expendable device. I did not take my OM-1 as I was concerned abouts its welfare in the marine environment.

The Pentax Optio WPi is a 6Mpxl P&S with a 3x optical zoom that Amazon lists for ~$322.00. Any of the better underwater housings for an SLR will cost close to that or more.

The blurb from Amazon about the Optio's waterprooffness says =

"Offering JIS Class 8-equivalent waterproof performance, the OptioWPi enables the user to shoot continuously for up to approximately 30 minutes underwater at a maximum depth of 1.5 meters. Such waterproof capability also allows the user to wash the camera with water to rinse away sand and dirt. The perfect companion for watersports, skiing, and other outdoor leisure activities, the OptioWPi also allows the user to shoot in places that would be too dirty to take other cameras."

This sounds like just the thing for flats boats and wading fishermen. It can be washed of under a faucet of running water to clear salt and grit. I wonder how many seasons it will hold up... If you do try this, be sure and post a report here so we can hear about your experiences with the Optio.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Walmart has a one time use water proof camera good to about ten feet. Kodak of Fuji I believe. About $8.00 each for 24 shots and good above water as well. I have used these and they are not bad.
    Check out B&H they have quite a listing of water proof digital cameras under 200.00
    Bob