Arranging Categories on homepage more difficult now!

ReneesEyesReneesEyes Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited March 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have my homepage set to display Categories, by Position. It used to be, that if I wanted to change the arrangement of categories on my home page, I simply clicked on the "arrange" button in the gallery category part of the home page--which would bring up all of my Galleries. Now, it only brings up my Categories, meaning I can only arrange categories at once and not every gallery. The result is something reminiscent of those crazy little puzzles you get at birthday parties...you arrange all of the galleries in one category via their gallery page, then you go to the next category and do the same, and then go to the home page and arrange the categories...BUT...as you change the galleries around in each category, it also changes the categories around on the homepage at the same time. Then your homepage has stuff on it in the wrong order, and your "featured" photos are not being featured because they are no longer the first gallery in their category.

I have tried to explain this as simply as possible, but it is kind of confusing. :huh I hope someone understands what I mean. I just want to be able to see every single gallery at once and arrange them by position THAT WAY like I used to. I get freaked out when my home page looks awry.

Thanks!

Renee at www.reneesumner.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    ReneesEyes wrote:

Hi Renee,

Can you have a look here, it explains things much better than I can - and if you have questions still, holler back here we can help!

http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums

Andy
  • ReneesEyesReneesEyes Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Andy,

I agree, mine USED to do that. (Actually, instead of saying "organize" next to "Position" like on the link, mine says "arrange" instead. But that's not the problem)

Mine doesn't work like that anymore. When I try to organize them, it only shows me the categories. If I want to arrange galleries, I have to do that by clicking on the category, and then clicking on "arrange" from within the category. I can no longer view EVERY single gallery and arrange from there anymore. That's what's so puzzling Laughing.gif...they keep shifting around as you arrange other galleries. See what I mean?

Renee
    edited February 16, 2006
    ReneesEyes wrote:
    Andy,

I agree, mine USED to do that. (Actually, instead of saying "organize" next to "Position" like on the link, mine says "arrange" instead. But that's not the problem)

Mine doesn't work like that anymore. When I try to organize them, it only shows me the categories. If I want to arrange galleries, I have to do that by clicking on the category, and then clicking on "arrange" from within the category. I can no longer view EVERY single gallery and arrange from there anymore. That's what's so puzzling Laughing.gif...they keep shifting around as you arrange other galleries. See what I mean?

Renee

OK I just went to your site, and used "arrange" to move your Family Category to first place - then I moved it back to the end.

If you want to view and arrange your galleries, you first click on the category then you can arrange the galleries within that category..

OK?
    edited February 16, 2006
    Andy,

When you move the categories around, it doesn't really change anything. But, if you move galleries around, then it messes everything up. (Don't do it :nono ) I finally got it back to normal.

I was working on my site today. I added a new Category, PRICING, and then moved some old pricing galleries that I had previously placed under a Portrait Categoy into it, along with some new ones. I also created a new gallery under my Wedding and Engagements, made some changes to my Specialty Items galleries, and some other changes. That's when I noticed everything moved around on my homepage.

For some reason, when I move any galleries via Categories, it shifts EVERY gallery on my site around behind the scenes. So, I might get the one category looking good again, i.e. the one with the featured photo in first place, but when I go to the next category and move those galleries it moves the ones I just fixed in the last category. I have to go through every category and fix it, then go and fix every category until it is right. It is time consuming and I can't see any rhyme or reason to it.

Anyone else ever have that happen?

Thanks! For now I am not making any more changes. But eventually I will want to!

Renee
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    If you want to organize the galleries, but still show them by cateories simply switch to view by galleries - organize them - then switch back. The new way is easier for people to understand.
    edited February 17, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    If you want to organize the galleries, but still show them by cateories simply switch to view by galleries - organize them - then switch back. The new way is easier for people to understand.

JT, that makes perfect sense.

Thanks Guys!

Renee
  • VMacVMac Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    ReneesEyes wrote:
    JT, that makes perfect sense.

I could be having an unrelated problem, but it does not make sense to me. I can NOT arrange my galleries and have them stay arranged. I can start at the top of the category heirarchy and work down, or start at the lowest sub-category and work up... arranging galleries in each category, and the result is the same -- arranging galleries in one sub-category alters the order in other sub-categories. It is maddening. I go back and re-do the same changes, to the order I want in sub-category x, and then I have to go back and re-do sub-category y. And then re-do category z, and it never ends. (And it is unrelated to category creation date.) Am I alone in this "feature"?

Thanks,
    Vance
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
    edited March 2, 2006
    Any thoughts on this? I know it's a little picky to want every gallery in each sub-category in the exact order I want, but it doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal, no? I can't change one sub-cat without having an affect on others.

Thanks,
    Vance
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
  • HCPHCP Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    VMac wrote:
    Any thoughts on this? I know it's a little picky to want every gallery in each sub-category in the exact order I want, but it doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal, no? I can't change one sub-cat without having an affect on others.

Thanks,
    Vance

Vance- Last week, I had the same experience that you are having. I was working on the road covering the Tour of California cycling race and had limited access to the Internet. My site is arranged in category/subcategory/gallery hierarchies. I was adding a new subcategory and then 1-3 galleries for each day/stage I covered.

Whenever I added a new gallery to one subcategory, it would randomly affect the order of galleries in the other category/subcategory hierarchies (Tour de France and Winter Training Camps).

So I had to waste precious net time re-ordering areas I wasn't working in at all... I don't think it's too picky to expect those other galleries to remain in position. -PK eek7.gif
    hcphoto.smugmug.com
    edited March 7, 2006
    headscratch.gif

ne_nau.gif

beer.gif
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
  • HCPHCP Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Good idea! 1drink.gif
    hcphoto.smugmug.com
    edited March 8, 2006
    I wonder if maybe we haven't explained the issue sufficiently? :)
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
    edited March 8, 2006
    I've asked JT to comment again.
    edited March 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I've asked JT to comment again.

Thanks Andy. It's not a show-stopper... so plenty of patience here.
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
    edited March 8, 2006
    VMac wrote:
    Thanks Andy. It's not a show-stopper... so plenty of patience here.

Good, because it's on a burner, just not one of the four main ones on the stove. More like that side-burner that you get on the new gas grills today - the one you *think* you'll use but never end up using.

lol3.gif
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I need more of a specific cat > subcat > gallery description of the problem so I can try to replicate on my end.

How many galleries in each one, category names, etc.

VMac wrote:
    I could be having an unrelated problem, but it does not make sense to me. I can NOT arrange my galleries and have them stay arranged. I can start at the top of the category heirarchy and work down, or start at the lowest sub-category and work up... arranging galleries in each category, and the result is the same -- arranging galleries in one sub-category alters the order in other sub-categories. It is maddening. I go back and re-do the same changes, to the order I want in sub-category x, and then I have to go back and re-do sub-category y. And then re-do category z, and it never ends. (And it is unrelated to category creation date.) Am I alone in this "feature"?

Thanks,
    Vance
    edited March 9, 2006
    Okay, I have 6 main categories, let's call them A B C D E F. And several sub-categeroies in each one, let's use a b c d.... And several galleries in each sub-cat, 1 2 3 4....

The other day, I added a new gallery, let's say cat A, sub-cat c, gallery 15. Well, once I changed the position of A-c-15 (by using the "sort galleries: arrange" at top) , and moved it to, say, the fourth physical position in the sub-cat, it changed the orer of galleries in the other sub-categories, and even changed the order of my main categories. Every time I would go in and change a galelery order (or even sub-cat order) back to the way I wanted, it would affect the order elsewher in some other random cat or sub-cat. Am I am making sense?

Thanks,
    Vance
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com