MI3 Entry

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited February 17, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my first try at the Challenge. I took this at the Orlando Wetlands at sundown. It has to be the best Hawk shot I have ever taken and thought it fit the Challenge. It is just slightly cropped for composition. Let me know what you think.

56583941-L.jpg
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    yup, that works.
    I can't believe that with almost 900 posts you've never entered a challenge.
    gluwater wrote:
    This is my first try at the Challenge. I took this at the Orlando Wetlands at sundown. It has to be the best Hawk shot I have ever taken and thought it fit the Challenge. It is just slightly cropped for composition. Let me know what you think.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    It works! Nice
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Thanks for the input Adrian and Thusie. I have now seen this shot on 3 different monitors and the saturation looks completely different on each. No, none of the monitors are callibrated and I know each will look different but I was wondering if someone using a calibrated monitor could let me know how they think this looks, especially for saturation. I think I will get rid of some of the noise in the sky before I post it.

I love the shot and I think I have reproduced the scene accurately but it still doesn't compare to what I remember seeing in person :cry .
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 17, 2006
    NIck, I view this image on a 23" Cinema Display calibrated with a Spyder2Pro from Pantone, and the bird and the sky seem pretty hot to my eye. Have you checked the image in PS for being out of gamut in CMYK or even sRGB?

Interesting shot and the orange vs blue is a great complementary color scheme.

I would consider slightly less saturation perhaps.

Discussion of the significance of monitors in evaluation of images has not really been discussed much here on dgrin, but I suspect it plays a very significant role in how different people perceive our images. I do know that shots of mine that seem fine at home, can look very poor on my LCD monitor at work because it is not able to display the full gamut of colors my Apple display can. Images look blown at work, but they are not, just a cheap monitor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    I think this works well for the two-color challenge also. Great shot.thumb.gif

Can you sharpen the feathers to match the close detail of the branch? That would help to focus more attention on the subject of this pic, the grand bird!
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Nick,

Wasn't going to say anything since I'm only calibrated with Supercal and have no idea about numbers, I agree with Pathfinder.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    I only had a little to play with this but how does this look? Any better? I have to go to sleep now gotta be back at work by 2:30AM :puke

56670887-L.jpg
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Looks good on my Ibook G4
    and on my
    IBM 20" LCD