Drop sequence

wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited February 18, 2006 in Holy Macro
C&C welcomed!

This is so addictive, wife asked me tonight, "Do you really need MORE shots of milk?"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........yesssssssss!!!

100630871_93de611c6d_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Thats a cool series! So did you get into trouble for splashing food color all over, or???? 1drink.gif
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Netgarden wrote:
    Thats a cool series! So did you get into trouble for splashing food color all over, or???? 1drink.gif

Thanks Netgarden!!!! SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, she hasn't seen the table out in the garage yet! Laughing.gif!!
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Those are really nice Wally. Using milk was a great idea, it gives a nice effect with the white falling into the colors.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • MesaManMesaMan Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Again, awesome!
    clap.gif
    Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything.
    ~Morihei Ueshiba~
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    edited February 17, 2006
    MesaMan wrote:
    Again, awesome!
    clap.gif

Thanks gluwater!

I appreciate it MesaMan!!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2006
    another neat set, Wally!

what's funny is I'm just reading this thread as I pack up to head home... and for a weekend science project, in my bag just went: a vial of glycerine, two colored dyes, and a mess of disposable droppers.

nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Wally those are cool. You know the extra different colored drops scattered around really set it off, I like those too:D
    edited February 17, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Wally those are cool. You know the extra different colored drops scattered around really set it off, I like those too:D

Hey DoctorIt, that sounds really cool.......what kind of dyes? Maybe some paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde??? hahahahahaha that is the longest chemical name I can pronounce!!!

I am anxious to see your photos.......have fun!

Thanks Thusie, yeah, the extra food coloring drops are just and extra bonus!
    edited February 18, 2006
    wally5656 wrote:
    Maybe some paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde???
    Nah, DNA/RNA stains are expensive, I wouldn't take those. Good one though! nod.gif

I just took some concrete dye from the civil eng lab next door. Basically paint, nice and thick, but water based so it dilutes easily. They measure it in cups. lol3.gif
    Erik

• AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Wally: Very nice =). From what you said it seems like you do this often, so I thought I would ask you... do you have any tips on getting proper focus? I'm not sure what lenses and such you use; but my main problem when taking drop photos (which I also really like to do!) is getting them in focus, seeing how when I'm so close the focal range is extremely short (I use either of the lenses noted in my signature). I know how to use my camera, using a larger aperature to increase focal width and such but, what do you do to set up the shot to help with this?

I'm sorry if there's some babble in there, but I hope you understand my question. Thanks.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
    edited February 18, 2006
    Andyman,
    I don't know if Wally mentioned it in this thread or another one, but he uses the same focus technique that I use (and subsequently many fluidics photographers use). Place a bolt, or bottle cap, or something solid with good hard edges in the frame where your drops are going to hit. I often use a stand to hold my droppers, so I can drop onto this hard "target" until the stand is aligned. If you're using your hand to hold the dropper, well, then you have to give it a practice or two and hope for the best. When you're satisfied that you are dropping on the target, make sure focus is dead set on it, remove the target, and drop away.
    thumb.gif
    Erik

edited February 18, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Andyman,
    I don't know if Wally mentioned it in this thread or another one, but he uses the same focus technique that I use (and subsequently many fluidics photographers use). Place a bolt, or bottle cap, or something solid with good hard edges in the frame where your drops are going to hit. I often use a stand to hold my droppers, so I can drop onto this hard "target" until the stand is aligned. If you're using your hand to hold the dropper, well, then you have to give it a practice or two and hope for the best. When you're satisfied that you are dropping on the target, make sure focus is dead set on it, remove the target, and drop away.
    thumb.gif

Andyman, thanks for your comment, I haven't been doing these milkdrops very long at all!!

DoctorIt summed up the focus procedure very nicely!!

Thank you DoctorIt, and I am anxious to see some drop shots!!!
    edited February 18, 2006
    wally5656 wrote:
    Thank you DoctorIt, and I am anxious to see some drop shots!!!
    You're welcome... and me too! I'm still waiting for my flash batteries to charge! umph.gif
    Erik