Link confusion

jawsjaws Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited February 19, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I recently sent a link to an Architect to show him our houses gallery,he copied the link and opened it in his web browser and was able to see my all my other galleries as well ( personal, holidays etc.) I thought I if I copied the link to the one gallery thats all that he could see, what have I done wrong?

Cheers,
John

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Could you show give us your smugmug-address and the link you gave to the architect so that we can visualize what you've just said? mwink.gif
    In general all galleries that aren't private or password protected can be seen by anyone browsing your site. Private galleries can only accessed by people having the right link. You can combine many private galleries by creating sharegroups. This gives you then only one link for a collection of private galleries.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jawsjaws Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2006
    Could you show give us your smugmug-address and the link you gave to the architect so that we can visualize what you've just said? mwink.gif

Yeah I could do that but I'd hate you to be bored so I won't, I understand your avatar now:D

Still doesn't seem right for this to happen, the gallery in question was a private one.I still think it should only show the one I nominated.
    Cheers,
    John
    edited February 17, 2006
    jaws wrote:
    Yeah I could do that but I'd hate you to be bored so I won't, I understand your avatar now:D

Still doesn't seem right for this to happen, the gallery in question was a private one.I still think it should only show the one I nominated.
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif I think I should change my avatar - I'm not that evil and explosive as I might look.
    Okay, even though you refused to provide the clarification links I think I know what you're concerns are. Did you try to use the 'hide owner' option in the gallery settings? That should do exactly what you want to. The gallery then has no connections to your own homepage anymore - it then looks like a smugmug page and therefore your possible customizations wouldn't be displayed either anymore.

Sebastian

PS: Welcome to dgrin! :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 17, 2006
    Thanks Sebastian I'll give it a try in the morning.
    Glad to hear your not that evil:):

Cheers,
    John
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    jaws wrote:
    Thanks Sebastian I'll give it a try in the morning.
    Glad to hear your not that evil:):

Cheers,
    John

Hi John,

wave.gif welcome to dgrin!

As sebastian said, try using the "hide owner" feature, if you want to give a link yet not be navigable.

Cheers
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John,

wave.gif welcome to dgrin!

As sebastian said, try using the "hide owner" feature, if you want to give a link yet not be navigable.

Cheers

That would work,
    but then your customization disappears as well, doesn't it?

Do URLs of private galleries start with www.smugmug.com or with {nickname}.smugmug.com? If it is the last, you're still navigatable by just removing the tail-end of the URL in the browser's address-bar.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    That would work,
    but then your customization disappears as well, doesn't it?

Do URLs of private galleries start with www.smugmug.com or with {nickname}.smugmug.com? If it is the last, you're still navigatable by just removing the tail-end of the URL in the browser's address-bar.

Lots of ways to skin this cat:

This is a private gallery on my site..

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/1200122
    http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/1200122
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1200122
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The last one only works as long as the user doesn't click on another image or another link which then redirects back to williams.smugmug.com with your customizations.
    williams.smugmug.com only stays until someone uses your navigation which then redirects to your domain - that's were my hint on links comes to rescue. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 18, 2006
    Thanks all for the welcome and help, I will probably just be careful with showing my links for now, nothing in my gallery that can't be shown I just like control over my privacy.

Cheers to all,
    John
    edited February 18, 2006
    jaws wrote:
    Thanks all for the welcome and help, I will probably just be careful with showing my links for now, nothing in my gallery that can't be shown I just like control over my privacy.
    If your privacy is your main concern, keep in mind that google is indexing smugmug sites pretty fast and good. If you don't want this, consider the feature to set a site wide password (people are ask to enter a password when they access your main page) and to keep out google and other search engines.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 18, 2006
    If your privacy is your main concern, keep in mind that google is indexing smugmug sites pretty fast and good. If you don't want this, consider the feature to set a site wide password (people are ask to enter a password when they access your main page) and to keep out google and other search engines.

Sebastian

thanks for the info, now I'll ask the dumb question 'how do I do that' ne_nau.gif

cheers,
    John
    edited February 19, 2006
    jaws wrote:
    thanks for the info, now I'll ask the dumb question 'how do I do that' ne_nau.gif
    Have a look at your control panel - in the section account settings / passwords - click on the 'change' link and you'll get to a page where you can set this view password.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero