Nikon D200

CloudkickerCloudkicker Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited February 18, 2006 in Cameras
Hey guys,
Im about to pick up the Nikon D200 from my local Wolfcamera and was wondering if it was worth it to get the additional warranty from them? It cost like $516 for 2 years. Does Nikon offer any kind of additional warranty service? Thanks
Canon 30D, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L USM, Canon 580EX

Comments

• chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Hey guys,
    Im about to pick up the Nikon D200 from my local Wolfcamera and was wondering if it was worth it to get the additional warranty from them? It cost like $516 for 2 years. Does Nikon offer any kind of additional warranty service? Thanks

That's a ridiculous price! I think you can get it from anywhere so long as it's within the 30 day purchase window. jr.com and bhphoto.com and call to make sure but both have it for ALOT less. I've seen it for $99-$150. It's worth it for that price...
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    on ebay there are numerious Mack warranties for sale around $100 and some go upto 5 yrs....Mack warranties has been around for a longtime.

Check this link http://www.mackcam.com/warranty_dealerlist.php tis is the first page from Mack Cam listing all their dealers....many have presence on ebay.

Look for a 5yr on camera body and 7 yrs on lens.

Both should be under $200 and are good world wide...so if on vacation and it dies you can get it fixed.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    You can also get a rider on your homeowners insurance for very very cheap. of course, this depends on your deductible....
    edited February 17, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    You can also get a rider on your homeowners insurance for very very cheap. of course, this depends on your deductible....

Depending on your insurance comapany most are well worth having, but ONLY if they will give it to you for FULL REPLACEMENT cost of equip.

the Mack Warranties extend your 1 yr warranty out ot a total of 6 yr and most a re good world wide....ir camera breaks in germany....contact Mack and they tell you where to get it fixed, no out of pocket....just like the original mfg warranty if you drop it into a river no it won't repair it..that is where your insurance comes in....but the only time I had to go to my insurance comapny for a replacement on a camera they gave me a ton o'crap and it took them almost a month to get me a check.....

Read your rider very close to make sure it covers everything you want.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Mack Warranty
    Let me first say that $516 for two years is nothing short of silly. About what I would expect from a Wolfcamera store though. Have you checked around online for a better price for the D200 also?

Let me also state that I've been using Mack for a pretty long time now. They've fixed numerous notebook PC's for me over the years and have never given me anything but the best service I could dream of. I'd recommend a Mack extended warranty also.
  • CloudkickerCloudkicker Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Thanks for the help.
    I guess bhphoto.com also offers the Nikon extended service. Does anyone know what that covers? Im kinda confused where can I get the mack warranty? Does online stores offer this? Thanks
    Canon 30D, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L USM, Canon 580EX
    edited February 18, 2006
    Thanks for the help.
    I guess bhphoto.com also offers the Nikon extended service. Does anyone know what that covers? Im kinda confused where can I get the mack warranty? Does online stores offer this? Thanks

if you go up to my first post on this page it has link directly to the dealers for mack warranties....

It should cost not cost you over $200 to cover both the lens and body seperately...lens can be covered for upto 7yrs...however many lens mfg's warranties are for upto 5 yrs anyway.....and $200 is actually on the high side.

B&H is a Mack Warranty Dealer as are most of the reputable NY camera dealers [and some of the not so reputable ones also]

Good luck