Options

must have gear?

pepperellpepperell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 17, 2006 in Cameras
Well when I said my next post would be in a different section I lied. I got a rebel xt, tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens, canon 580ex flash, bag, tripod all together from someone who was unloading all their stuff.

Now I'm wondering what else I need. I have a 2 gb SD III card coming. I will get photoshop shortly but have no experience with it. Basically I'm trying to prioritize what I need next from this list:

1. 67 mm filters (UV, polarize, etc) what do I need vs what is nice to have?

2. set focal length everyday use lens. small, fast and light (canon 50 mm f1.8). again do i really need or can i just get by with what i have for the time being?

3. lens + body cleaners. what's a good kit?

4. BOOKS. i have good grasp of slr techniques. looking for more digital photo advice. And what are good beginner photoshop books?

As always, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    pepperell wrote:
    Well when I said my next post would be in a different section I lied. I got a rebel xt, tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens, canon 580ex flash, bag, tripod all together from someone who was unloading all their stuff.

Now I'm wondering what else I need. I have a 2 gb SD III card coming. I will get photoshop shortly but have no experience with it. Basically I'm trying to prioritize what I need next from this list:

2. set focal length everyday use lens. small, fast and light (canon 50 mm f1.8). again do i really need or can i just get by with what i have for the time being?

4. BOOKS. i have good grasp of slr techniques. looking for more digital photo advice. And what are good beginner photoshop books?

1]. Lens protection is a must for outdoor shooting. For indoors, it gets in the way and occasionally causes flares if you have cheap filters. Buy B&W if you want to leave your UV filter on the whole time. Polarizers (Tiffen, Hoya, etc... are okay)

2] 50mm f/1.8 is a necessity in my mind. Don't ask, just buy, and you'll know why later.

3] large microfiber cloth. Bigger is better. For mirror, you can get specific camelhair(?) brushes that won't scratch it as it's a front surface mirror. That being said, who cares about the mirror. The sensor is the important part. You want to try something like the copperhill method. Search for "Sensor cleaning", you'll find loads.

4] Library

hope this helps!
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    pepperell wrote:

1. UV filters are a waste of money IMO. All filters are a waste of money if not needed for a specific reason. I wouldn't recommend you buy any unless there is something specific you are looking to do.
    2. You don't really need a 50 1.8 yet. As a matter of fact you really won't know if you need it until you start shooting some. Perhaps flash doesn't bother you. Perhaps your happy with the sharpness, contrast, ect. with the lens you already have. Even if you decide you want something faster apeture wise so you can shoot more available light or play with narrow DOF, you may decide that 50mm isn't the right focal length for you in a prime. An easy way too tell (and free) is to set your Tamron at 50mm and leave it there. See how useful you feel that focal length is. You may find you want something wider or longer possibly.
    3. I don't have nor have I ever needed a body cleaner other than a wet washcloth. Lens cleaners I recommend a Giotto's Rocket blower. 99% of the time I can remove whatever is on my lens with just that. I'd also recommend a lenspen. Leupold, Hakuba, ect., are all about the same quality IMO. Just don't use the lenspen if you have anything abrasive on your lens. Use the other end that has the brush. Someone already mentioned Cooperhill method for sensor cleaning. I'd mirror that recommendation.
    4. I can't help you with the books but would recommend you not buy any yet. Photoshop has some pretty good help built into it. See if you can pick it up on your own without a book to start with. If there are specific things you need help with then there are plenty of free sources of help online.