Options

Macro to micro: the spider mite

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited February 22, 2006 in Technique
Attached is a shot of a spider mite I took with a Nikon E5400 digital camera. Again, though it can get as close as 0.4 inches from an object in macro mode, I want CLOSER, and got that using a low-power objective lens from a Meade 4-inch telescope.

I'll simply have to have a microscope to get any closer. Or does anyone have a trick or two to share?

There is a practical need for this: I would like to take spectacular closeups of micro-biologically induced corrosion in piping, and freshly-pulled corrosion coupons BEFORE sending them to the lab.
Steve-o

Comments

• Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    Just as a rough guess, I would try getting hold of an old 50mm lens made for SLR's or maybe a 100mm. That can be used in reverse on your Nikon in front of the lens. You may end up with vignetting like you have here, but probably better results. Quite a few macro shooters use that technique with good results. I would also try and get a flash slave or a flash with one built in. That might give you more even lighting, especially if bounced. Might work quite well inside tubes.

All the best and just at a rough guess.

Danny.