Thumbing with IR

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited February 18, 2006 in Holy Macro
I don't know how many of you know this, but most digital cameras can see the near infrared wavelengths commonly used in remote controls (and which also frustrate sunset shots without an IR cut filter).

I was curious to see if I could spot any anatomic details (blood vessels, tendons) in my left thumb, so I took my older of the two Nikons I own (the Coolpix 2500 in this case), shined a remote control through it and...not quite the "T-ray imaging" featured on 'Red Planet', but what the hey!
Steve-o

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    thats quite interesting. I like experimenting with my sony infrared which is included in the "night shot" mode so not alot of know how involved other than processing. funny thing is I've never used it at night! :): I need to get some experiemnts going,. good idea u have.
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    IR exposures
    That Sony of yours may be more sensitive to IR by design, which would likely mean reasonably short exposure times.

The IR Thumb shot I took with the Nikon E2500 took a whole second--the longest shutter time that camera will do (my Nikon E5400 can stay open for as long as 10 minutes if I want).

I'd like to see some 'night mode' shots from your Sony!
    Netgarden wrote:
    thats quite interesting. I like experimenting with my sony infrared which is included in the "night shot" mode so not alot of know how involved other than processing. funny thing is I've never used it at night! :): I need to get some experiemnts going,. good idea u have.
    Steve-o