canon 20D versus 5D

2»

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy, you're experience and knowledge of Canon lenses seems pretty vast.

I am wondering, that if I "backended" into a 5d and then concentrated on glass, realizing that most L glass is off into the future....what non-L Canon glass would work reasonably well with the 5d?

I am more of a western landscape photagrapher, taking both wide scenes and closely cropped near scenes.

I realize that 'full frame' sensors will be most unkind to poor glass, but Canon must have a few good non-L lenses.

I am thinking of a wide prime of f1.8 -2.8, the 28-105 f3.5 zoom and perhaps a normal or normal tele lens of f1.9 - 2.0. Would these give satisfactory results with the 5d?

Hope this isn't too open-ended.

Hello arroyoshark. Howdy from advrider:):

How about a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f1.8 or the 100f2.8 macro. The 17-40 L is relatively inexpensive also. All of these are superb lenses.

Of maybe just one lens - the 24-105 f4 L IS . It is a great walk about lens, that is wide on a 5D, and long enough for head and shoulder portraits also. It is not that fst, but with IS you can capture landscapes easily with slightly longer exposures.
    This was handheld at 1/15 sec with a 5D and the 24-105 L IS
    48702099-M.jpg
    Here is a actual pixel image crop of the center
    58328046-M.jpg

Canon makes several 24mm, and 28 mm lenses in f2.8 that are inexpensive as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy, ...

Hope this isn't too open-ended.

wave.gif and thanks for asking :D

I really dig: the 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and the 17-40L. So, right there, for example, is three lenses (one of them L) for less than the price of just the 16-35L.

For your landscapes, the 17-40 is a great choice. Check out

www.starvingphotographer.com
    www.solev.net

both guys use the 17-40 extensively.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    wide primes
    dont forget manual primes

some really good ones ,apart from expensive zeiss germany distagons(of course andy has one of these)

the contax-zeiss version (zeiss/yashica)

zeiss jena version (east german zeiss)

also the olympus -zuiko 21/3.5
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hello arroyoshark. Howdy from advrider:):

How about a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f1.8 or the 100f2.8 macro. The 17-40 L is relatively inexpensive also. All of these are superb lenses.

Of maybe just one lens - the 24-105 f4 L IS . It is a great walk about lens, that is wide on a 5D, and long enough for head and shoulder portraits also. It is not that fst, but with IS you can capture landscapes easily with slightly longer exposures.
    This was handheld at 1/15 sec with a 5D and the 24-105 L IS
    48702099-M.jpg
    Here is a actual pixel image crop of the center
    58328046-M.jpg

Canon makes several 24mm, and 28 mm lenses in f2.8 that are inexpensive as well.

Bacatcha Pathfinder....wave.gif and nice photo. I also enjoy urban nite photography. That was my thinking with the prime lenses.

I had been busy price shopping either a Canon 350xt or a 20D when Canon sprang the 5D and now the 30D on us. Both these new cameras have appeal to me. I also like the new 24-105mm L lens. With my currrent fragile budget, if I pop for the 5d, which seems to offer superb detail capability for landscape, then I become $$ strapped for glass. I had read some ride reports on the 24-85mm, 28-105mm and 28-135 non L lenses and it seems the 28-105mm f3.5 is the better of the lenses. I was curious about whether it would hold good edge sharpness/focus on a 5D. It represents an affordable "kit" lens for me, I guess.

Or, in the alternative, with the projected cost of the new 30D, then yeah, maybe I could afford one L lens initially.

I don't tend to trade off cameras with the frequency of some here, so I am going through this mental judo.

Thanks for your comments.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif and thanks for asking :D

I really dig: the 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and the 17-40L. So, right there, for example, is three lenses (one of them L) for less than the price of just the 16-35L.

For your landscapes, the 17-40 is a great choice. Check out

www.starvingphotographer.com
    www.solev.net

both guys use the 17-40 extensively.

thumb.gif Thanks for the response. Checked out the websites. These guys do some incredible work. Caught your drift on the 17-40. From what I can determine, the 17-40 is maybe 2.5 times the cost of the 28-105mm f3.5 non L and a bit more than 1/2 the cost of the new 24-105 IS.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    Purchase a 20D or even a 350Xt and better glass, as opposed to a 5D and a cheaper zoom. You'll get better images with the better glass.

The 20D can make spectacular images - it is just not as WIDE as a full frame camera without a 10-22 or some such.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin