Options

Dust?

dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited February 24, 2006 in Technique
I've recently taken some macro shots with my lens stopped right down to F22 and noticed what seem to be dust spots in some of my shots. I've tried with another lens shooting a blank wall and get spots in the same places. However if I lock the mirror up and look inside the camera the sensor looks spotless to my naked eye.

Is it common to not be able to see the dust that is causing blotches or could it be something else?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've not had to deal with dust before.

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    You may not be able to actually see the dust on your sensor but if you can see it in your shots at small Apertures then it is definitely there. Check out this thread in the [thread=8350]Hall of Wisdom[/thread]
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    It's definitely dust motes on your sensor. Pick your poison of sensor cleaners and get to work! The first time is scary. But after you're ruined one camera, it gets a lot easier. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    It's definitely dust motes on your sensor. Pick your poison of sensor cleaners and get to work! The first time is scary. But after you're ruined one camera, it gets a lot easier. naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gifThat was just wrong rolleyes1.gif

James.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Now that's really encouraging waxy!!:D :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2006
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Thanks everyone, at least I've only got a D50 to break :D
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    dancorder wrote:
    Thanks everyone, at least I've only got a D50 to break :D

I paid thirty dollar in Orlando to have my sensor cleaned (as I dare not tackle it myself) and the day after that it had new dust in it... aaagggrrrrr
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Yea thanks a bunch Sidumph.gif My new (used) 20D has dust bunnies and I'm already having panic attacks about cleaning it..Geez
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Think of it like this
    Every car, truck, and motorcycle on the road has to have it's oil changed. You put in fresh clean oil, and before you know it it is dirty again and needs to be replaced.

It's the same thing with SLR's. They will get dust. They will need regular cleaning. It is nothing to get worried about.

And just like using manual mode on the camera, it will liberate you and give you freedom . Cleaning the sensor yourself is no big deal. Learning to do it yourself will give you the power to clean when needed.

And also remember this, you are not cleaning the sensor directly, you are cleaning a piece of glass in front of the sensor. As long as you are using materials that will not scratch glass, you have little to worry about. Just follow the directions of the cleaner you have and keep practicing until you have it down pat. It can be mastered the first time you try it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Yea thanks a bunch Sidumph.gif My new (used) 20D has dust bunnies and I'm already having panic attacks about cleaning it..Geez
    Do it once and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about, Thusie.

Say, how much can a new camera body cost, anyway? naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    You're incorrigible rolleyes1.gif

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes7/youngfrank18.jpeg
    wxwax wrote:
    Say, how much can a new camera body cost, anyway? naughty.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    Thank you Shay will wade in soon as the stuff to do it gets here

Sid..What Shay said blbl.gif
    You're incorrigible rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    What Shay said
    It's the same thing with SLR's. They will get dust. They will need regular cleaning. It is nothing to get worried about.

And just like using manual mode on the camera, it will liberate you and give you freedom . Cleaning the sensor yourself is no big deal. Learning to do it yourself will give you the power to clean when needed.

And also remember this, you are not cleaning the sensor directly, you are cleaning a piece of glass in front of the sensor. As long as you are using materials that will not scratch glass, you have little to worry about. Just follow the directions of the cleaner you have and keep practicing until you have it down pat. It can be mastered the first time you try it.

It sounds scary (and yes, if you're *totally* careless, it *IS* possible to damage your sensor/shutter severely), but in fact it's pretty simple. Different methods may bring different results, but they all will do the job well enough, so get the one you like more (for whatever reason) and just do it.
    If you ever cleaned your glasses (or saw somebody doing it) - it's about same skill level..:):

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Just do it
    I have to 15524779-Ti.gif with all the positive statements about cleaning the sensor. I am relatively new to the digital game and when I saw all the dust on my sensor, I just about freaked. A little research and a deep breath later, I had a pretty clean sensor.

And, like someone above said, you are not cleaning your sensor, you are cleaning a glass (filter?) layer that is placed on top of the sensor by the manufacturer.

I made a contribution to the thread mentioned above wherein I state that I was unable to clean the sensor with just a dry brush. I ended up having to use a liquid solution (no pun intended).
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    When is the rest of the photo world going to make dust reduction technology like Olympus?
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_dust.asp
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2006
    Does it work? I haven't heard anything about it other than it exists.
    When is the rest of the photo world going to make dust reduction technology like Olympus?
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_dust.asp
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Well at least you didn't tell him to put it in a plastic bag and take it to the car wash.:D That's what I got when I asked at another forum about dust in my EVF.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    Does it work? I haven't heard anything about it other than it exists.
    Phil Askey from DPReview has this to say about it:
    "The "Supersonic Wave Filter" is a method of cleaning the sensor which involves making it vibrate at a very high frequency, this vibration causes any dust or dirt to literally drop off the sensor surface and on to a sticky tape material (which apparently has been used in conventional SLR's for some time now). This built-in cleaning takes place every time you power up the camera and can also be invoked from the camera menu. It's reassuring to see at least one manufacturer taking dust seriously and attempting to solve instead of avoiding the issue."
    Quote pulled from:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page4.asp
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2006
    Well ya, I know how it works, but what I am wondering is how well it works? I agree it is good that they are trying to do something about it. But, does it work.
    Phil Askey from DPReview has this to say about it:
    "The "Supersonic Wave Filter" is a method of cleaning the sensor which involves making it vibrate at a very high frequency, this vibration causes any dust or dirt to literally drop off the sensor surface and on to a sticky tape material (which apparently has been used in conventional SLR's for some time now). This built-in cleaning takes place every time you power up the camera and can also be invoked from the camera menu. It's reassuring to see at least one manufacturer taking dust seriously and attempting to solve instead of avoiding the issue."
    Quote pulled from:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page4.asp
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    Did it
    Got the Copperhill sensor brush, followed instructions. Cleaned the reb first:): then the 20D, it worked, both cameras still work. There was no mis-alignment of the planets, I didn't faint, the house nor camera (s) exploded. The reb could probably use it again. Did not need a doube Jack on the rocks before or after.

Poo on you Sidrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    lol3.gif

Just wait, the Copperhill solution eats away at the glass. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

rolleyes1.gif oh forgot to add :fu. Love ya Sid:D
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

rolleyes1.gifYou just never quit do you.

James.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

I just toss mine in the Maytag on the delicate cycle . . .

I don't use the dryer though
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    Sid was right!
    57437455-M.jpg
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    dancorder wrote:
    I've recently taken some macro shots with my lens stopped right down to F22 and noticed what seem to be dust spots in some of my shots. I've tried with another lens shooting a blank wall and get spots in the same places. However if I lock the mirror up and look inside the camera the sensor looks spotless to my naked eye.

Is it common to not be able to see the dust that is causing blotches or could it be something else?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've not had to deal with dust before.

I shoot alot of motocross racing, and dust is a given. I tried sensor swabs and the dreaded cleaning fluid, and it worked ok, but stressed my heart. I recently bought a sensor brush kit from www.visibledust.com and it works great. The kit was pricey, but well worth it. My 20D is now better than new. :D Every D-SLR owner should keep it clean!mwink.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    OK I led you astray, I learned about the sensor cleaning brushes at www.visibledust.com but ordered it from www.bhphotovideo.com since they are the best!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    I use the Sensor Brush too, even though it's crazy expensive and I'm sure I'm being ripped off. What can I say, it works. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    57437455-Th.jpg

lol3.gif

It's OK, after a while all the glass is destroyed by the Copperhill chemical, your shots look fine again.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

It's OK, after a while all the glass is destroyed by the Copperhill chemical, your shots look fine again.

That's good to know Sid, thank you:D