Canon 1Ds Mark II

etblissetbliss Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 26, 2004 in Cameras
The Canon 1Ds Mark II was announced on September 21st, 2004, with a ship date of sometime in november at $7999.00. or so... 16mp, Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor. Saving my pennys.

More info at the Canon Site

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    Yeah. Very cool. And way more camera than I need. Patch29 started a thread with the rumors last week. I'm curious to find out if the extra mp create noise issues, the way they have on other cameras/processors.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah. Very cool. And way more camera than I need. Patch29 started a thread with the rumors last week. I'm curious to find out if the extra mp create noise issues, the way they have on other cameras/processors.
    You probably saw the thread I put up about the 14mp Canon mount Kodak Pro SLR/c. That seems to have the noise controlled pretty well.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:

I posted the real thread, here. with some links to more info last week. I would like to see some images at high ISO.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    patch29 wrote:
    I posted the real thread, here. with some links to more info last week. I would like to see some images at high ISO.

Interestingly, the increase in pixels from 6 to 8Mp in the 20D does NOT seem to have increased the noise as many of us expected. M Reichman's prerelease review did NOT see any increase in noise in the 20D over the 10D which was noted to have low noise. In his latest article on the 20D in a trip to Paris, he was quite complimentary to the 20D that he purchased - he compared it very favorably to the 1DMkll in terms of noise.

Canon's introductory article about the 1DsMkll, shows that the pixel wells are not any smaller than on the 1Ds, just that they are slightly closer together and with LARGER microlenses. I have a suspicion that we will find that the noise in the 1DsMkll is equal to or less than the 1Ds. Looking forward to reports from the field in this regard.

And the price has not gone up over the 1Ds either in spite of the dollars drop over the last 3 or 4 years.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin