Nikon to get Zeiss lenses?

FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited February 19, 2006 in Cameras
I have heard rumors that Nikon will be getting Zeiss glass in the future. Is this just a rumor or is it really in the works?
Cheers!
Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 19, 2006
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Frost wrote:
    I have heard rumors that Nikon will be getting Zeiss glass in the future. Is this just a rumor or is it really in the works?
    Someone even posted a link the other day where pricing has been announced. Take a look here...
    http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/2006/02/zf_mount_lens_p.html
    For now it looks like May. I'm thinking I'll jump all over the 50mm when it's first released. I find that I gravitate more towards MF lenses as time goes on. Even with my favorite AF lenses there are plenty of situations (low light and macro for example) where MF just makes more sense. If you look around you'll also find an interview where Zeiss is basically promising better color, contrast, and bokeh than the comparable Nikon glass produces. I'm not sure they'll be able to deliver on that promise for the 85mm 1.4 but I think the chances are pretty good for the 50mm 1.4 (atleast bokeh I'd hope.) They also mentioned competitive pricing. This may indeed be the case with the 85mm 1.4 (see link above again) but doesn't certainly seem that way with the 50mm 1.4. The pricing seems out of line considering what the Nikon 50mm 1.4 sells for in the US actually. I'm willing to gamble on it though. If they can just give me a little better bokeh then I'd think it was worth the money. In the normal range the 50mm focal length is currently my most used prime.
    edited February 19, 2006
    Let me add that the timing couldn't be more perfect for Zeiss. With Nikon's announcement discontinuing most of the MF lens line and most of their film bodies, used prices are now on the steady rise. If there are MF focus lenses you have been wanting new then now is the time to act. There are actually a few I've been wanting a while now. I just ordered a 135mm 2.8 AIS from Keh. Will probably get a 35mm 1.4 AIS next. I did the same over the 45mm 2.8P when it was discontinued and am glad I did. It's not a lens I favor much but makes a neat lens cap for an extra body and the hoods work perfect on my 35mm 2.0D and 50mm 1.4D. :D
  • FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    bokeh
    .. he he .. there's that word again " bokeh " I've shot film for many years and I knew of DOF (depth of field) and hyperfocal length, but until the last week when I started comming online to different forums I never heard of the word before. I just thought it unusual to me is all. :D I've shot with view cameras with the front standard tilted down and the back tilted the opposite direction and had everything in focus from about 2 feet on out ot infinity. But then I've taken pictures of kids in medium telepoto and got closer to purposedly blur the bacground.

I had a Contax 35mm camera several years ago with the Zeiss *T lens and it was an incredible lens. Should be intersting to see what the feedback is on these when they start streaming into the publics hands. Makes me wonder if I should keep my Nikon F3 or finally just part with it and stick striclty to digital. I hardly grab it up anymore.
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
    http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

edited February 19, 2006
    Frost wrote:
    .. he he .. there's that word again " bokeh " I've shot film for many years and I knew of DOF (depth of field) and hyperfocal length, but until the last week when I started comming online to different forums I never heard of the word before. I just thought it unusual to me is all. :D I've shot with view cameras with the front standard tilted down and the back tilted the opposite direction and had everything in focus from about 2 feet on out ot infinity. But then I've taken pictures of kids in medium telepoto and got closer to purposedly blur the bacground.

I had a Contax 35mm camera several years ago with the Zeiss *T lens and it was an incredible lens. Should be intersting to see what the feedback is on these when they start streaming into the publics hands. Makes me wonder if I should keep my Nikon F3 or finally just part with it and stick striclty to digital. I hardly grab it up anymore.
    What lenses do you have with your F3? It's not like you'll have to abandon them once you go to a Nikon mount SLR. :D

I'd hardly recommend buying one of these for a film body unless you really know you'd use them. Of course buying one would be good justification for buying that D50 you are thinking about. Imagine the combination. Superclean 1600ISO with a tack sharp Zeiss prime. Where's the drool smiley?
    edited February 19, 2006
    Notice no comments from the Canon crowd here either. rolleyes1.gif

I think Zeiss made some funny comments about why they aren't initially doing these in Canon mount. I've already seen plenty of grumblings about this on various forums from Canon users. Many have already gone to old Zeiss glass in an apparant attempt to get decent wide angle coverage. I'd think Zeiss would actually release these for them first. headscratch.gif