Need flash for 20D

Darwin36Darwin36 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 19, 2006 in Cameras
What after market flash will work with the 20D?I Need it to bounce with lots of power, and how important isTTL-II compared to normal TTL? I would like the zoom head to work with auto power adjustments. I really don't want to spend more then I have to on a another flash Thanks Darwin

Comments

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Darwin36 wrote:
    What after market flash will work with the 20D?I Need it to bounce with lots of power, and how important isTTL-II compared to normal TTL? I would like the zoom head to work with auto power adjustments. I really don't want to spend more then I have to on a another flash Thanks Darwin

Sigma DG500 Super if you're on a budget.

Canon 580EX if you're not.

Practically identical flashes, but the control interface on the back of the 580 is much nicer than that of the sigma.

That being said, if you shop carefully, you can buy 2 sigmas for the price of the 580. Oh, but the Sigma doesn't have the option for an external battery pack.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Sigma DG500 Super if you're on a budget.

Canon 580EX if you're not.

Practically identical flashes, but the control interface on the back of the 580 is much nicer than that of the sigma.

That being said, if you shop carefully, you can buy 2 sigmas for the price of the 580. Oh, but the Sigma doesn't have the option for an external battery pack.

also Sigmas can't have slave over Canon flashes....

i just ordered the 430 from B&H and am looking forward to using it.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited February 19, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    also Sigmas can't have slave over Canon flashes....

i just ordered the 430 from B&H and am looking forward to using it.
    Uhh... if that's so, then the magical flash fairies must've been firing my flashes for me on the fashion shoot the other day.

I was shooting with 2x 500 Sigma DG's, and 1x Canon 420EX, and they worked FLAWLESSLY in union together, ETTL-slaved to my 10D with one of the 500's on it as a transmitter.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Uhh... if that's so, then the magical flash fairies must've been firing my flashes for me on the fashion shoot the other day.

I was shooting with 2x 500 Sigma DG's, and 1x Canon 420EX, and they worked FLAWLESSLY in union together, ETTL-slaved to my 10D with one of the 500's on it as a transmitter.
    Sigma's have an optical slave. Canon's do not have an optical slave, instead they fire over their proprietary IR wireless system. The Sigma will fire off of a Canon, but it will be via the optical slave, and it will be manual only.

Canon's IR wireless transmits ETL info to the flash, automatically setting them to the right power, etc.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Sigma's have an optical slave. Canon's do not have an optical slave, instead they fire over their proprietary IR wireless system. The Sigma will fire off of a Canon, but it will be via the optical slave, and it will be manual only.

Canon's IR wireless transmits ETL info to the flash, automatically setting them to the right power, etc.

thats what i meant:uhoh

:hide
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited February 19, 2006
    cmason wrote:

Well that's strange, because my Sigma was firing via IR, as well as the 420, in unison.

And the on-camera sigma knew that it was firing seperate flashes and had ratio controls for all of them.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Well that's strange, because my Sigma was firing via IR, as well as the 420, in unison.

And the on-camera sigma knew that it was firing seperate flashes and had ratio controls for all of them.

OOPS! My bad...just re-read this review:

http://photonotes.org/reviews/sigma-ef-500-super/

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Sigma have even figured out Canon’s wireless flash system, so the EF-500 DG Super can be used as either a master or a slave unit with wireless E-TTL."

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There you go, you arent seeing things Scott[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    edited February 19, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    OOPS! My bad...just re-read this review:

http://photonotes.org/reviews/sigma-ef-500-super/

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Sigma have even figured out Canon’s wireless flash system, so the EF-500 DG Super can be used as either a master or a slave unit with wireless E-TTL."

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]There you go, you arent seeing things Scott[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Yup. That's part of the reason I'm going to try to find a broken or burned out (flash wise) Sigma 500 that will still transmit Infrared. I wish Sigma would just bring out a stand-alone unit to compete with canon's overpriced ST-E2...
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2