Options

How to get photos for sale noticed

MaureenpicMaureenpic Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I am a new pro user and have photos that I would like to sell. But I don't have a clue on how to get the word out that they are there and attract interest to them. Can anybody out there help me get started?

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    What kind of photos? Who are you marketing to? What is your business plan?

These are some the questions you need to answer first. Then you can fine tune a plan on where to best reach who you are marketing to.

Others will help with recommending books. There are tons of them for how to succeed in the photography business. But again, is it a business for you? If so, what, fine art, weddings, sports, what?

It also help to have your website availabe in your profile here on dgrin. I went to look at your site and I wasn't able to because you didn't have it listed.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Hi Maureen wave.gif and welcome to Dgrin!

Here's a start, it's the first sticky in this forum:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20236

Answers to Khaos' questions would be very helpful, too.... Standing by!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    Reply to questions
    You can see how green I am on this. I don't have a separate website of my own, and don't have a clue where to start. Didn't know I would need something separate if I had the pictures up here. I have my pictures up in "almost famous photographers" and "flowers, flowers and more flowers".
    I also saw something under one of the other threads about having a "contact me button" prominent in the listings but don't know how to set that up. If I don't need a separate website to do this, how do people get to be able to see my pictures? I do have a lot of keywords out there, and can find them that way. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Most of my pictures are landscapes or other outdoor/nature pictures.

Khaos wrote:

These are some the questions you need to answer first. Then you can fine tune a plan on where to best reach who you are marketing to.

Others will help with recommending books. There are tons of them for how to succeed in the photography business. But again, is it a business for you? If so, what, fine art, weddings, sports, what?

It also help to have your website availabe in your profile here on dgrin. I went to look at your site and I wasn't able to because you didn't have it listed.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Maureenpic wrote:
    You can see how green I am on this. I don't have a separate website of my own, and don't have a clue where to start. Didn't know I would need something separate if I had the pictures up here. I have my pictures up in "almost famous photographers" and "flowers, flowers and more flowers".
    I also saw something under one of the other threads about having a "contact me button" prominent in the listings but don't know how to set that up. If I don't need a separate website to do this, how do people get to be able to see my pictures? I do have a lot of keywords out there, and can find them that way. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Most of my pictures are landscapes or other outdoor/nature pictures.

Do you have a smugmug site? If not, we can help you:

www.smugmug.com/pro
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:

www.smugmug.com/pro
    lol3.gif :spam
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    response to your questions
    I looked at your response to my query and followed up on some of your suggestions. I didn't know how to set up my smugmug website correctly and Andy pointed me to that info. So I now have it set up. I also added that info to my profile as you suggested. The name is maureenpic.smugmug.com. Now that I have it set up, how do I attract people's attention to it? Thanks for your input.
    Khaos wrote:

• Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Response to your posting
    Thanks for pointing me to the info on setting up the site. I went through the process and now have the info set up. My site name is maureenpic.smugmug.com. My photography is mainly a hobby for me, but I have had good response to some of them from friends, family and coworkers, and want to see if I get the same kind of response from others as well. If I am able to sell some of them, it would be some gravy on an already enjoyable pursuit. My passion is nature and the outdoors in general, so that is the type of photography that also catches my eye. Now that I have followed through with setting up the site as you suggested, how do I attract attention to it and let people know the pictures are out there?
    Andy wrote:

www.smugmug.com/pro