Nikon Capture - LCH Editor

RNanceRNance Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 20, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi. This is my first post. Please be gentle. :uhoh
I am a newbie hobbyist. I do PP in Nikon Capture and pretty well know the basics. But I'm having difficulty learning and using the Chroma, Color Lightness, and Hue portions of LCH Editor. Can someone tell me the practicalities of this portion - workflow, how's and why's, etc.? I've searched SEVERAL forums (and manual) and the results have been vague at best. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    can't help you here, but it sure would be good to see this covered by one of our photoshop gurus here on the forum...
    LCH for dummies????
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    RNance wrote:
    I am a newbie hobbyist. I do PP in Nikon Capture and pretty well know the basics. But I'm having difficulty learning and using the Chroma, Color Lightness, and Hue portions of LCH Editor. Can someone tell me the practicalities of this portion - workflow, how's and why's, etc.? I've searched SEVERAL forums (and manual) and the results have been vague at best. Thanks for your help.

Hiya RNance and welcome to dgrin wave.gif

I'm headed out the door right now, but I'm sure somebody will be along to lend you some assistance!
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Nikon editor
    I've been a Nikon user for three years now. Started with a Coolpix 2500 (which I still have) and, for almost 2 years I've worked with a Coolpix 5400--and I still haven't tapped into all its capabilities.

I don't use the Nikon Photo Editor much, as I don't find it all that versatile. It's ok for removing red-eye (most of the time), but Nikon did provide other software from ArcSoft (for instance) on their disk. It appears that the bigger the camera, the more software is given.

What camera do you have? What photo editing software did it come with? Did it come with PhotoStudio and PhotoImpression ?

I've found the PhotoStudio to be the quickest and most versatile of the software I've so far used. I've taken over 20,000 images in the last three years--many of them industrial--and I've often had to edit to bring out certain details--especially for indoor shots where I didn't use my flash (a battery-saving technique I frequently use).

If you could give me some specific examples of what you shoot, and what you usually find editing needs for, maybe I can help you out!

You might also want to copy your response to sschaut@homeyer.com. As much as I like hanging out here as a "dgrinner" (after all, I did join "for grins"), alas for the work I must do. My wife and four kids like such luxuries as food, shelter and clothing for some strange reason!

Have a great day, and don't drop that camera!
    RNance wrote:
    Steve-o
  • RNanceRNance Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2006
    Thanks for your reply, Forehead. I have a d50. I use Nikon Capture for post processing. I have found it very good to convert my raw pics as well as using it for other PP applications. There are several techniques within it I could learn to use more efficiently. My concern was the LCH Editor. I understand it can be very useful with color enhancing, lighting, etc. I have PS6, but prefer Nikon Capture. TAke care.
    Forehead wrote:
    I've been a Nikon user for three years now. Started with a Coolpix 2500 (which I still have) and, for almost 2 years I've worked with a Coolpix 5400--and I still haven't tapped into all its capabilities.

I don't use the Nikon Photo Editor much, as I don't find it all that versatile. It's ok for removing red-eye (most of the time), but Nikon did provide other software from ArcSoft (for instance) on their disk. It appears that the bigger the camera, the more software is given.

What camera do you have? What photo editing software did it come with? Did it come with PhotoStudio and PhotoImpression ?

I've found the PhotoStudio to be the quickest and most versatile of the software I've so far used. I've taken over 20,000 images in the last three years--many of them industrial--and I've often had to edit to bring out certain details--especially for indoor shots where I didn't use my flash (a battery-saving technique I frequently use).

If you could give me some specific examples of what you shoot, and what you usually find editing needs for, maybe I can help you out!

You might also want to copy your response to sschaut@homeyer.com. As much as I like hanging out here as a "dgrinner" (after all, I did join "for grins"), alas for the work I must do. My wife and four kids like such luxuries as food, shelter and clothing for some strange reason!

Have a great day, and don't drop that camera!