find shaow/highlight on PS7

vanvan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 19, 2006 in Finishing School
How about this question? How can I get the same shadow/highlight effect from PS CS (image-adjustments-shadow/highlight) on PS 7 (maybe image-level-options?) ?

I shoot long board surf pictures and often get a shaow on half of thier face. I have tried levels and played a bit with the options with minor success on PS 7. Help me until I can afford PS CS.

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    It's not good to eliminate shadows
    Most shadows that get eliminated by the tool are actually good and needed for contrast.

However, if you want to do something like it, the method I use, even on PS CS2 is this:

Select the shadows (magic wand, color range, or whatever you want), feather the selection as needed, copy, paste, set the blending of the new layer to screen, adjust opacity to taste. Erase or mask any areas you don't want brightened.

Shadows help define shape and volume. Get rid of the shadows, and we all look like 2 dimensional cartoon :-)

van wrote:
    How about this question? How can I get the same shadow/highlight effect from PS CS (image-adjustments-shadow/highlight) on PS 7 (maybe image-level-options?) ?

I shoot long board surf pictures and often get a shaow on half of thier face. I have tried levels and played a bit with the options with minor success on PS 7. Help me until I can afford PS CS.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie