Snow Flakes

pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited February 28, 2006 in Holy Macro
56884313-M.jpg
Using the 100mm 2.8.

56884318-M.jpg
Pete W
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com

Comments

• MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    WOW!!!clap.gifclap.gifI've never seen snowflakes that close before. Thanks! clap.gif
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Totally kewl, what a great capture!!!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    How'd you do that?
    Special equipment? Snowflakes are tiny!
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Hey Dee
    Nothing extra, other than the 20D and the 100mm 2.8 with a full crop of the macro shot.
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Brilliant
    aren't they microscopic ?
    anyway great never seen picture before like this
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Such Delicate Shapes
    pete w wrote:
    Using the 100mm 2.8.

Aren't they just amazing iloveyou.gif and so pretty and delicate, and gone so quickly ...... lovely......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 20, 2006
    very good and very neat!

thanks for posting-

george
    edited February 20, 2006
    Thanks Moto
    MotoKat wrote:
    WOW!!!clap.gifclap.gifI've never seen snowflakes that close before. Thanks! clap.gif

Yep, first for me also, luv Macros just need to find the time to do more.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited February 20, 2006
    Thanks Wally
    wally5656 wrote:
    Totally kewl, what a great capture!!!

Yea, had fun doing this, had to take around 40 to get these two. Thanks for looking in.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited February 20, 2006
    Awais,
    Brilliant
    aren't they microscopic ?
    anyway great never seen picture before like this

They are small but the 20D and 100mm Macro picks them out well, you just need good eyes for the manual focus.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 21, 2006
    any chance of capturing these on some type of different color background where these would stand out more?-

not knocking these shots-I think they're great-

have you experimented with this much?

george
  • NannaNanna Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2006
    Congrats!
    The shape of a snowflake is something I had in my mind for seeing in cartoons.... I had never seen a real picture of it! Thanks, it is beautifull!!
    clap.gif
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Very nice. Cool shots. thumb.gif
    edited February 21, 2006
    George
    gefillmore wrote:
    any chance of capturing these on some type of different color background where these would stand out more?-

not knocking these shots-I think they're great-

have you experimented with this much?

george

Yes, i have thought of this, i had to take these on the edge of the snow to get the background to show the shape, i tried taking shots on a pile of snow but could not get a good defined shape. I should try a colored card next time.

Neat idea thanks
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited February 27, 2006
    Nanna
    Nanna wrote:
    The shape of a snowflake is something I had in my mind for seeing in cartoons.... I had never seen a real picture of it! Thanks, it is beautifull!!
    clap.gif

Thanks , Guess you don't get many of these in Barcelona? Great place to live. Thanks for your comments.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 27, 2006
    I'm also very surprised you got these without any other extension or magnification. Nice!

Just goes to show you what a full crop of an 8MP camera can reveal. I bet you didn't even see these when they first popped on your screen at 25% or so. Right?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 27, 2006
    Erik,
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm also very surprised you got these without any other extension or magnification. Nice!

Just goes to show you what a full crop of an 8MP camera can reveal. I bet you didn't even see these when they first popped on your screen at 25% or so. Right?

The 100mm Macro can be used as a close up lens, the actual pic looked like this.

57987195-M.jpg

The only problem is the DOF so i have to crop out the center.

The 100mm is a great Macro lens.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 28, 2006
    thanks for showing us the original - gives you a better appreciation nod.gif

And I had forgotten the 100mm did 1:1. So very rough estimation, that makes your snowflakes about 3mm in diameter. May seem small, but I think those are on the very large side of snowflakes. Pretty sure if I went out and scooped some up from the front of the house today, they'd be sub 1mm.

So yeah, I'm jealous of your awesome cartoon snowflakes! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]