Options

Moon Shot

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited February 22, 2006 in Technique
I've been trying to get an atmospheric shot of the moon behind a really gnarledd & ivy ridden tree outside my flats. Last month the shots were very orangey so someone suggested shooting with the white balance switched to flurescent. I tried this & this is what I got:

57031127-M-1.jpg

I'm still getting an orange cast. I live in London so there is a lot of street lighting, even in the quiet area that I live in. How can I get rid of all the organe cast & get a nice crisp white. I'm not particularly bothered ab out getting detail on the moon, more on the tree really.

EXIF
Finepix s6602 zoom
Shutter speed 4 sec
f/11 (highest my camera goes to)
iso 160 (min my camera goes down to)
fl 46.8mm
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    G'day Nicola...i really cant offer any advise other than to ask if you have photoshop or similar avail to you ? Easy to change stuff in there.

There are a few programmes that ive seen that are reasonably priced (microsoft makes one from memory) that will really open some doors for you with colour change. That or move to a camera that can shoot RAW...a lot of prosumer cameras can so you dont have to go into a DSLR.

I like the shot BTW ...very real 'american werewolf in london' feel to it...

What about a B&W conversion ??

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    When I shoot outside at night with strong city induced light pollution, I use incandescent light balance.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Agree
    I use to live in london, and I think it is probably the air pollution that is causing the problem. This could be fixed in photoshop or another program, or by adjusting the white balance settings. Try auto, and then all the given settings on the camera. You could also try manual white balancing.
    You mentioned you are not interested in the detail in the moon, but if you ever change your mind, the key to remember is that the moon moves. It will always be a bright blob unless you shoot at 60th of a second or faster. So, to make it work in an image like this one you will either need to shoot two images, one for the moon, and one for the rest of the image - and then combine them in photoshop, or find a way to make it work at a 60th of a second.
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    I use to live in london, and I think it is probably the air pollution that is causing the problem. This could be fixed in photoshop or another program, or by adjusting the white balance settings. Try auto, and then all the given settings on the camera. You could also try manual white balancing.
    You mentioned you are not interested in the detail in the moon, but if you ever change your mind, the key to remember is that the moon moves. It will always be a bright blob unless you shoot at 60th of a second or faster. So, to make it work in an image like this one you will either need to shoot two images, one for the moon, and one for the rest of the image - and then combine them in photoshop, or find a way to make it work at a 60th of a second.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've already tried auto in the WB, that was my first attempt. Then I tried Fluorescent. That didn't work either. Next month I will have to try Shay's suggestion :-) I will try in ps to remove the cast but haven't had time yet :-)
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai