Professional pricing

ckwheelerckwheeler Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 29, 2004 in SmugMug Support
hi,
i am trying to figure out how come my pro pricing isn't showing up. Do i have to actually go into EACH and EVERY picture and change it to portfolio pricing? I have already set the portfolio pricing but when I go view it as a guest it shows the smugmug pricing. Anyone had this problem?

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 27, 2004
    Hi Katrina,

Welcome to Digital Grin! You've done a very impressive job of setting up your smugmug site and you have some beautiful shots. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I took a look at your pricing and it looks like you've done it exactly right: you've set the portfolio prices for things you want to sell and set the things that shouldn't show up as available products to zero.

So that means when you log out completely, you should see the prices you set in the shopping cart, and when you're logged in you should see smugmug's default prices.

When you say view it as guest, that means logged out completely, correct? Not logged in using a guest password?

Thanks!
    Baldy
    (from smugmug)
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    Prices too hard to find on pro pages..
    I had the same problem that I can see that alot of people have had regarding the way photos are priced on anyone's smugmug page. The problem I have is that there is no way to know how much you are going to pay for a print unless you throw each photo into your cart individually and then go check your cart to see how much you might pay. Now this to me is not a problem most of the time, but at others it can be very time consuming if you have a slow internet connection or just plain dont feel like going through the hassle.

I was wondering if there might be an easy way to add a pricing feature to the site. Something that would be perfect would be to allow the pro users to have a pricing field next to every print that they offer for sale so that when logged in this field can be edited, but when a user is viewing the individual image there is the price right there on the screen. I dont know how much work this would be to do or if its even possible as I dont have a clue how to program, but I think this would make smugmug sooo much easier to use and would indrease sales for everyone. I really think that the average person that is looking through a gallery would be more inclined to buy something if they had the prices right there as opposed to saying 'hey thats an awesome picture that I would love to own, but how much does it cost?' and then they begin the process that myself and many others I know have gone through of searching and searching before finaly figuring out how hard it is to find actual prices for individual pictures.

I think I got a little long winded there, but I really think this would help everyone who uses smugmug very much. Thanks

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    I had the same problem that I can see that alot of people have had regarding the way photos are priced on anyone's smugmug page. The problem I have is that there is no way to know how much you are going to pay for a print unless you throw each photo into your cart individually and then go check your cart to see how much you might pay. Now this to me is not a problem most of the time, but at others it can be very time consuming if you have a slow internet connection or just plain dont feel like going through the hassle.

I was wondering if there might be an easy way to add a pricing feature to the site. Something that would be perfect would be to allow the pro users to have a pricing field next to every print that they offer for sale so that when logged in this field can be edited, but when a user is viewing the individual image there is the price right there on the screen. I dont know how much work this would be to do or if its even possible as I dont have a clue how to program, but I think this would make smugmug sooo much easier to use and would indrease sales for everyone. I really think that the average person that is looking through a gallery would be more inclined to buy something if they had the prices right there as opposed to saying 'hey thats an awesome picture that I would love to own, but how much does it cost?' and then they begin the process that myself and many others I know have gone through of searching and searching before finaly figuring out how hard it is to find actual prices for individual pictures.

I think I got a little long winded there, but I really think this would help everyone who uses smugmug very much. Thanks

Mike
    Yup, I'd second that. I'm not going to put something in my shopping cart if I don't know what it costs. I've currently written a summary of the most obvious print sizes and their prices in an introductory gallery "comments" box.
  • Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    yvonne wrote:
    Yup, I'd second that. I'm not going to put something in my shopping cart if I don't know what it costs. I've currently written a summary of the most obvious print sizes and their prices in an introductory gallery "comments" box.
    Hi there,

I came up with a very simple solution... in the description window write a simple html script to tell folks about your prices. Here's an example:

<p align="center"><strong class="blue"><font size=+1>Order your Photos on line.</font></strong>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">4x6 - $8.00</font></a>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">5x7 - $10.00</font></a>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">8x10 - $22.00</font></a>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">11x14 - $34.00</font></a>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana">16x24 - $85.00</font><font face="Verdana" color="#008000"><strong class="blue"><p align="center"><font face="Verdana"><strong class="blue">Click the thumbnail to view </font></a>
    <p align="center"><font face="Verdana"><strong class="blue">then click add to cart below the image.</font></a>
    <p align="center"> </a></strong></strong>

Copy that and paste that in your description window. It may not look quite centered then, but if you log out it'll be just fine, try it.

Good luck,

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Thank you,

• Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    Hi there,

I came up with a very simple solution... in the description window write a simple html script to tell folks about your prices. Here's an example:

Good luck,

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    P.S.

This seems to work best with the traditional setting.

Erik
    Thank you,

• yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    P.S.

This seems to work best with the traditional setting.

Erik
    Looks pretty good with elegant setting aswell, thank you. But what, if anything, is the difference between typing the information in the description box normally, or using the html, as you have done?

Is there a difference, even?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Easier shopping
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    I came up with a very simple solution... in the description window write a simple html script to tell folks about your prices.

Neat. About all I don't like about it is I have to put that in the description of every single gallery. And it pushes down the page the images, requiring people to scroll more.

While I like the new shopping cart *a lot* from the previous one, I can see two improvements still:

1) don't separate "standard prints" from enlargements. If its a print, put them all together.

2) its not obvious, even to me, when I place an item in the shopping cart what it is exactly that I have ordered. It defaults to a 4x6 with no easy way to change that. It might be better that when added to the shopping cart that the user is first asked what he wants this image on, rather than making that a separate step later on.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    Both of your comments are excellent and we discussed both in detail when designing the new cart, and we try to make our descisions based on what was best for the user. The most ordered print size? 4x6. It made no sense to slow users down in ordering prints to have them choose the same thing over and over again. For those that would not choose the 4x6, it takes the same amount of time (maybe less if they use apply to all) to pick out a different size in the cart that would have taken if we presented that option earlier in the process. The standard vs. specialty print is along the same lines; the standards are what is most ordered so we grouped them in a smaller list. The longer list was intimdating before, so we wanted to avoid that.

mercphoto wrote:
    Neat. About all I don't like about it is I have to put that in the description of every single gallery. And it pushes down the page the images, requiring people to scroll more.

While I like the new shopping cart *a lot* from the previous one, I can see two improvements still:

1) don't separate "standard prints" from enlargements. If its a print, put them all together.

2) its not obvious, even to me, when I place an item in the shopping cart what it is exactly that I have ordered. It defaults to a 4x6 with no easy way to change that. It might be better that when added to the shopping cart that the user is first asked what he wants this image on, rather than making that a separate step later on.