ISO boost question for 500E

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited February 23, 2006 in Cameras
I purchased an E-500 a few weeks ago, and am playing with the ISO Boost settings. What is everyones opinion about when to set the boost to "OFF", when to set it to "ON+NF" and when to set it to "ON"? My initial impression is that the ON+NF is generally the best unless I use 3rd party noise reduction program, then I set it to ON.
What do you think?
What about the built in Noise Reduction setting in the camera - when should this be on? Is it only for use with long exposures?

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    I changed you thread title swin as there are not that many E-500 users here & we need to attract their attention.

headscratch.gif hmmm...didnt change it on the original thread title.

Marloff ? You about ?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I changed you thread title swin as there are not that many E-500 users here & we need to attract their attention.

headscratch.gif hmmm...didnt change it on the original thread title.

Marloff ? You about ?
    Need to click on Thread Tools/Edit Thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    I purchased an E-500 a few weeks ago, and am playing with the ISO Boost settings. What is everyones opinion about when to set the boost to "OFF", when to set it to "ON+NF" and when to set it to "ON"? My initial impression is that the ON+NF is generally the best unless I use 3rd party noise reduction program, then I set it to ON.
    What do you think?
    What about the built in Noise Reduction setting in the camera - when should this be on? Is it only for use with long exposures?

I would leave the "boost" on without tne NF feature and use a 3rd party NR when needed.

Auto ISO won't go beyond 400 anyway (at least on the E-300). Plus with the E-500 you have 1/3 and 1/2 stop adjustment, dial in only as much as you need to get the shutter speed you want.

Gene
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    There's a couple of us hanging about.

Setting it to ON only enables the ability to use ISO 800 & 1600. It doesn't affect the performance of 100-400. Leave in on so you can use them when you need them. I agree also with leaving off the NF and use a noise reduction step in post processing.
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    As far as I can guess Olympus provided the option to disallow ISO boost above 400 only as a fail safe to prevent accidentally straying into the noisey area. They anticipate that many users are going to be rank amatures who wouldn't have a clue that noise is integral with 1600 ISO. But I think you know better and you can make inteligent and informed choises. So allow the camera to go all the way to 1600, you'll find it quite useful.

Based on my experience with this camera I wouldn't bother with in camera noise reduction. It's not that effective. You'll find that at 1600 ISO the noise is not very bad with this camera and easily corrected in post processing.

Paint Shop Pro 9 has a terrific "Digital Camera Noise Reduction" dialogue which works very well in conjuction with USM. Go that route.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    I'm about, Gus. But lately, happily there has been proof that I'm not the only E-system shooter around here. Yippee!

I'll have to agree with the previous posters: switch on the boost. It doesn't hurt the regular ISO values, and it gives you the option to use higher ISO. Try the higher ISOs (and do use third party noise reduction software, like Noise Ninja or Neat Image), and see if they are usable to you. It's all digital, so it's not like you're spending money on film when you're finding out. Just experiment a bit, it's all fun.
    enjoy being here while getting there