57315564-M.jpg

***which of the next 3 do you prefer?***

57315576-M.jpg

57315572-M.jpg

57315569-M.jpg
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• ptlashptlash Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2006
    Great Shots. I like the first one the best. Makes me want pancakes! thumb.gif
    Tessa HD wrote:
    seems early to me, but maybe not!
    (C&C very welcome...)

57315579-Th.jpg

57315564-Th.jpg

57315576-Th.jpg

57315572-Th.jpg

57315569-Th.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    I am nobody's expert, but it seems to me that these could benefit from softer light (early morning or later in the afternoon), making the shadows somewhat less hard (I guess that was kinda redundant?). Then again, I'm partial to warmer light.

just my .02
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    #1 does it for me the dof is just right
    All nice

Thanks
    Fred
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    I think that's a good observation,
    they were taken at high noon (on my lunch break) and the sun was so bright today! And tonight the sky is full of stars! We don't get that too much around here! Thanks,
    Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited February 22, 2006
    thanks! i think that's my favorite too!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 22, 2006
    thanks fred, i'm most pleased w/ that one too
    Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Sap and snouts
    Even I've help tap some maple trees after the bitter cold winter of 75-76 (I felt -54 degF in Wausau, WI and that wasn't EVEN the coldest reading).

No funky lids on the buckets, though--the COWS didn't mind that one bit as they dove right in with their snotty snouts!

Word to the wise: if you see maple syrup for less than $30/gallon, you probably shouldn't buy it. I bought a 1/2-gallon bottle for $8.00 at an old Price Club one time. One taste told me why: somebody scorched the batch and BLEAUGH was it horrible! :puke1
    Tessa HD wrote:
    seems early to me, but maybe not!
    (C&C very welcome...)

57315579-M.jpg

57315564-M.jpg

57315576-M.jpg

57315572-M.jpg

57315569-M.jpg
    Steve-o
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 25, 2006
    I had read about these as a kid and probably had seen pictures back then but never have actually seen them in person--

I guess the closest thing down here would be a jar attached to a still-

anyway, neat shots-

thanks for sharing-
    george
  • aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Neat and timely idea, Tessa.

I like the composition and DOF with the array of buckets best in #1. I think it would work even better if you left more room for the bucket on the left side.
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Cool, I have never seen that, either. Those containers, they look old fashioned.

I wonder if they will figure out a way to take the photogenic part out. If you can, I would try to get out there at a sweeter light time, maybe on the weekend, but I think those shots are cool, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 25, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Word to the wise: if you see maple syrup for less than $30/gallon, you probably shouldn't buy it. I bought a 1/2-gallon bottle for $8.00 at an old Price Club one time. One taste told me why: somebody scorched the batch and BLEAUGH was it horrible! :puke1

yeh, about the same for a jar of shine-
    edited February 25, 2006
    Tessa-

not to nitpick (yeh, right!!!); is syrple slang for maple syrup? or is that the sound you make when you ingest it?

george (The Ol' Nitpicker)

you know, I gotta get a life-
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Tessa, is this in Pennsylvania? Is it really that warm there now? 'cause you're right, it is a bit early. Nice pictures. Of the three that you invited comments on I like the first.

Glennie and I live in Lanark county, the Maple Syrple capitol of the world. Shooting a syrup operation was my first assignment a few years back with a brand new "state of the art" 4mp camerarolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif:D . Got some lovely shots. Never thought to post them. Hoping to go back this year with my new 8mp SLR. My favorite sugar bush is still worked with horse and sleigh and boiled over a wood fire. Mmmmmm wonderful thumb.gif

Thanks for the pictures.
    Bob
    See with your Heart
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    the COWS didn't mind that one bit as they dove right in with their snotty snouts!

Scorched the batch or just the great taste of cow snot ?

What processing does this stuff have after harvesting ? We dont eat it here but macdonalds sell it on their pancakes.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    edited February 26, 2006
    "What does a rabbit carry for luck?"

ok, I give up--

I've looked and looked--

I'm assuming syrple is syrup-

can anyone tell me when and where it came from-

the earliest I see anything is Roger Miller's 'Dang Me':
    They say roses are red, and violets are purple,
    An' sugars sweet an' so is maple syrple.
    An' I'm the seventh out of the seven sons.
    My daddy was a pistol: I'm a son of a gun.

george
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    lovely shots i love all of them but 2nd is my choice
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited February 26, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Scorched the batch or just the great taste of cow snot ?

What processing does this stuff have after harvesting ? We dont eat it here but macdonalds sell it on their pancakes.
    The sap from the sugar maple tree is a clear watery liquid which is somewhat sweet to the taste. Quite a refreshing drink in and of itself. The early settlers in New England and Upper Canada observed the native people boiling this sap. When it is boiled carefully so as not to burn it, it turns into the most heavenly syrup with the most unique maple flavor you ever tasted. If you allow the boil to continue it will thicken and become like taffy. It's delicious when poured out onto cold snow where it hardens into maple candy.

Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited February 26, 2006
    Roses are red
    green are the turtles
    I"m turning purple
    my milk's about to curdle
    I need to get over this hurdle
    my search has not been fertile
    all this typing is giving me the tunnel curpal
    from whence came SYRPLE!

george
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    The sap from the sugar maple tree is a clear watery liquid which is somewhat sweet to the taste. Quite a refreshing drink in and of itself. The early settlers in New England and Upper Canada observed the native people boiling this sap. When it is boiled carefully so as not to burn it, it turns into the most heavenly syrup with the most unique maple flavor you ever tasted. If you allow the boil to continue it will thicken and become like taffy. It's delicious when poured out onto cold snow where it hardens into maple candy.

Bob
    Ahhh...thanks. I have tried it a few times on maccys pancakes but i think anything that comes from them wouldnt taste like the real mcCoy.
    edited February 27, 2006
    edited February 27, 2006
    now there's a good photo idea, george!
    thanks,
    tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 27, 2006
    sorry so late to reply....
    I see in your later thread you found your answer! Yeah, there's a song by Roger Miller (Dang Me), and in it he says "roses are red, and violets are purple, sugar's sweet and so is maple surple"... great song.
    tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 27, 2006
    yup, Pennsylvania,
    We've had some warm spells often this winter, so maybe that's why they put them out. I kinda thought it seemed early. I wondered too if since these are at a cemetery that it's first come first serve for who can tap the trees. Who knows. Or maybe just someone very anxious to get started!

I did a search for your county on Google, sure 'nuff, maple syrup capital! I might have to take a ride up there sometime!

Thanks for commenting!

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited February 28, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    We've had some warm spells often this winter, so maybe that's why they put them out. I kinda thought it seemed early. I wondered too if since these are at a cemetery that it's first come first serve for who can tap the trees. Who knows. Or maybe just someone very anxious to get started!

I did a search for your county on Google, sure 'nuff, maple syrup capital! I might have to take a ride up there sometime!

Thanks for commenting!

Tessa

Tessa, you'll love Lanark County if you ever do get to come. It's not too far from PA. Glennie and I did the PA/Virginia border from Ottawa in 6 hours. We have the absolutely sweetest little river here called the Mississippi. (No, not the big American one) and it's the prettiest thing you ever did see. And, of course, lots of maple trees.

Bob
    See with your Heart