Uploader photo count glitch

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited February 24, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have noticed that occassionally after an upload on the Universal Drag & Drop Beta uploader that sometimes that number of photos is shows received is off maybe by one or two, sometime one or two more. Not sure what is up with that. Not 30 seconds ago I uploaded 1 image and then it said 75 photos received. Dude what in the world is going on with that. Ya'll seriously need to help that thing count.
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 23, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I have noticed that occassionally after an upload on the Universal Drag & Drop Beta uploader that sometimes that number of photos is shows received is off maybe by one or two, sometime one or two more. Not sure what is up with that. Not 30 seconds ago I uploaded 1 image and then it said 75 photos received. Dude what in the world is going on with that. Ya'll seriously need to help that thing count.

i can confirm the upload 1 photo, shows 2 photos received behaviour.

never had it off by more than that though.
    Pedal faster
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Thanks for the info!
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i can confirm the upload 1 photo, shows 2 photos received behaviour.

never had it off by more than that though.

Yeah that for me was pretty normal. Never bothered to mention it before the big difference. It kinda blew me away and I figured I let people know.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    "beta"
    I've been using it for months and never saw this... until Sunday when I uploaded 17 pictures and it said 170 pictures uploaded.

btw... I think this uploader has been "beta" for at least as long as I have been a member (Aug 2005). While it works good, it doesn't outwardly appear to have changed at all since I started using it. It could definately use some enhancements (just ask me), but if your'e not actively encouraging feedback and making changes, you are improperly using the word "beta"
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    I actually was using that uploader for a while but in Dec I noticed it wasn't actually uploading all my photos and so it took more time for me to figure out what was missing-it was usually only a handful but they didn't all go up-and I knew I was missing some b/c of the numbers but I just went back to the uploader with the 100mb limit. just thought i would pass the info along in case it helped anyone...
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    I've been using it for months and never saw this... until Sunday when I uploaded 17 pictures and it said 170 pictures uploaded.

btw... I think this uploader has been "beta" for at least as long as I have been a member (Aug 2005). While it works good, it doesn't outwardly appear to have changed at all since I started using it. It could definately use some enhancements (just ask me), but if your'e not actively encouraging feedback and making changes, you are improperly using the word "beta"

We've made about a dozen (off the top of my head) changes & revisions to it since it went into beta - they're just "under the hood". :)

I've never seen the behavior you guys are seeing, though, and would love to track it down. Does it happen all the time? Some of the time? Any commonalities that would help me reproduce the problem?

Thanks,
    Don
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    We've made about a dozen (off the top of my head) changes & revisions to it since it went into beta - they're just "under the hood". :)

I've never seen the behavior you guys are seeing, though, and would love to track it down. Does it happen all the time? Some of the time? Any commonalities that would help me reproduce the problem?

Thanks,
    Don

I'd say about 50/50 it is accurate to inaccurate lately. Usually the larger the upload the more accurate from what I can remember.
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 23, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I'd say about 50/50 it is accurate to inaccurate lately. Usually the larger the upload the more accurate from what I can remember.

just curious, anyone reading this notice similar behavior in any other uploaders?

and dmc, we would love to hear feedback on the uploader. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    and dmc, we would love to hear feedback on the uploader. :)

ok...

Easy, low hanging fruit
    1. Upload in Progress window: after dropping pictures, progress window should mention how many pictures it received and will be uploaded. Progress should include "pictures uploaded" in addition to the MB's uploaded (ex. 18 of 24 pics uploaded)
    2. Progress window pops up in the upper lefthand portion of the screen and it is not obvious that anything happened when you "dropped" your pictures on the smuggy face. (untill you notice the new window on the screen
    3. Enable the Upload sessions to be independant and self sufficient, currrently all the uploads you start will abort (without any notice) if the user happens to do anything with the browser window which launched the uploads. (something I have done many times)
    4. Give me an Icon on my desktop where I can drop my pictures on it and Upload sessions are launched. Kinda of a pain to go to my smugmug, create a gallery, click Add Photo's, switch back to ACDSee (or whatever you use) rezize and move that application so I can see the smuggy in the browser... then drag n drop.
    well, that's enough for starters.... thanks for listening!