Options

* Challenge 22 - Running Alone

digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
edited October 2, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Is the cropped version better than the original format?

Cropped:
9045038-L.jpg

Original:
9044602-L.jpg

I used the Velvia action discussed on another thread on both these photos. I'm not sure if the colour is exactly what I want. I am finding a real disconnect between what I see in Photoshop and what ultimately gets posted here. In photoshop, the picture looks way over saturated after running the action, but it can look fine on the final smugmug post.

Several threads have discussed this and the possible causes, but no real solution. Are others still having this problem?

Brad

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2004
    first let me say the colors look fine to me, but I tend to love saturated colors...

I think technically the cropped version of the shot is better just because the runner is at one of the thirds intersections (more or less) but I must say I think both shots are great. Love the composition and the subject. The view is beautiful, the curve of the path is a great line into the shot with the little lake at the end.

The runner runnning alone down the path is great. I would have probably done the wrong thing for this shot and waited for the runner to dissappear.

Great shots, both ways IMHO
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2004
    Hmmm, tough choice. Not sure which I prefer. My only unhelpful comment is that the runner's in a shadow... be nice to subtly lighten him a wee bit, draw more attention to him. Love the idea, and what a great scene, lovely.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    first let me say the colors look fine to me, but I tend to love saturated colors...

I think technically the cropped version of the shot is better just because the runner is at one of the thirds intersections (more or less) but I must say I think both shots are great. Love the composition and the subject. The view is beautiful, the curve of the path is a great line into the shot with the little lake at the end.

The runner runnning alone down the path is great. I would have probably done the wrong thing for this shot and waited for the runner to dissappear.

Great shots, both ways IMHO
    I do like the way they came out. But on the photoshop side, the grass looks like it was near 3 Mile Island, it practically glows in the dark! I guess it's something to do with the ICC profile or lack there of. It just means that sometimes I have to save it, upload it, and see how it looks, sometimes having to go back and adjust the saturation. Oh well ...

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Brad
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    Your color 'desaturation' may stem from how you're saving your image out of photoshop. If you use the 'save for web' method it will shift your color space and flatten out the colors of your image, whereas if you 'save as' and choose jpeg with the embedded color profile your image will look the same as you see it. I believe it's because when you use 'save for web' PS reverts your image to a sort of unmanaged or flattened gamut default space which screws up the colors. I never worried about it before getting into photography because in effect the lightening effect would make the images look near to what I was seeing on my mac on the more common pc. Windows uses I believe a 2.2 gamma default monitor color space and a mac uses 1.8. The difference means that in windows the same image will look darker. In any case, try using 'save as' and not 'save for web' and I bet your colors will maintain.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    Oh yeah, and the uncropped version is preferred in my opinion. I like the extra visibility of the graceful curving path on the left and the aspect ratio is much nicer.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    I love, love, love the cropped version! Excellent shot!clap.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    I can't decide which one I like the best. I love the vast scenery of the original, and I like how the cropped one really makes you feel the distance more. I guess if I had to choose...I'd pick the original...maybe...?! headscratch.gif

This is just a beautiful shot, either way.

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    R&RR&R Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    I am new at this photography stuff so don't take my word for it. I really like the picture and the colors but the yellow hatches on the sidewalk take my eye away from the runner. If you could remove all those yellow cross marks on the path I think the picture would be stunning. I know that wouldn't be easy and I couldn't do it but I think it would look much better.

Like I said I may be way off but that is what I thought when I first looked at it.

There is the path and your eye naturally wants to follow it but those marks seem so distracting.

Rich
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    It's a great shot! I like the cropped one better for 2 reasons: it gets rid of the houses on the left and contributes to the "aloneness"; and also it accentuates the path and valley leading to the city in the distance, with it's presumed throngs of people.

The only thing is that it is much less sharp than the original, can you lose some of the blur?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    I like the original, but I don't have a strong preference.

The shadow area doesn't bother me.

The yellow things don't bother me.

In the cropped shot the wimpy look of the city does bother me, don't know if that is haze or if it is something done in ps. Looks much clearer in the original.

I would have done the wrong thing and waited for the runner to leave, too. Oh, the mistakes we can make.

I really do like the shot. Oh the houses don't bother me.

The most bothersome thing might be that there are other runners, I think, and so the title would become very important to show the shot as "alone".

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    It's a great shot! I like the cropped one better for 2 reasons: it gets rid of the houses on the left and contributes to the "aloneness"; and also it accentuates the path and valley leading to the city in the distance, with it's presumed throngs of people.

The only thing is that it is much less sharp than the original, can you lose some of the blur?
    I am crashing the party late, but maybe I can put several of the comments together in perspective.

9045038-S.jpg

I prefer the composition of the cropped image quite a bit for Challenge 22 - "Alone" to emphasize the runner and his aloneness. The cropped image puts the runner in the sweet spot - the comment about aspect ratio ( more square image ) is correct, but I do not limit myself to 2:3 35mm ratios necesssarily. I think the loss of sharpness in cropping does need addressing if the original file is large enough and detailed enough to get a crisper image. Maybe rez up the image size before cropping in PS?

The colors border on oversaturation but are not too bad. I agree that the yellow llines in the track are distracting, and if it were up to me, I would desaturate them substantially using artistic license.rolleyes1.gif

I agree with Sid that the runner is in the shadow and would attempt to lighten his torso up slightly to help emphasize the runner slightly.

I think with these changes implemented this will be an absolutely dynamite image. thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    R&RR&R Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2004
    I am far from a pro at any of this stuff but I tried with my limited software to take out the lines and here is what I got. I like it this way much better.

I hope I am not stepping on any toes just showing you what I was thinking of.

9219354-L.jpg

Rich
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    Damn... you did a pretty good job if you ask me. I couldnt even beging to figure out where the lines used to be until i looked aback at the old pic
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    Great shot. I do like both versions, although I'm leaning toward the cropped version. The houses didn't bother me, till I saw it cropped. Without the yellow lines, it does seem to flow a little smoother. Nice job!
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    I like your latest without the yellow lines in the road. It flows much better now. PERFECT! thumb.gif

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    Pulled up Runner?
    GEES... I think I must be losing it! I re-posted the original... Sorry... Here is the post as I tried to send it earlier in the week....

I too took a couple of minutes, and messed with the lines, and the tone of the runners body... Just for fun... I really like the concept of the shot, and think it will work fantastically... Keep at it.

ginette

9310338-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2004
    Final adjustments. How do people feel about the colour saturation?

Thanks,
    Brad

More:
    9297759-L.jpg

Less:

9297673-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2004
    Brad, I like them both. I think I like the second one best as the city looks a bit further away, which it is.

Great photo.

Tough bunch of entries. Either way you go, it is good.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2004
    #2 for me. You should be proud of this shot! thumb.gif
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2004
    Both versions really are great. With less saturation, the shot does seem a little quieter to me, which should work well with the alone theme. Fantastic shot! :D