Detailed Review of Nikon D200 Finally Posted

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited February 23, 2006 in Cameras

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    If Nikon was just a little more aggressive with their low light performance, the D200 would stand head and shoulders above everybody else. To me, that is the only shortfall - and it's a pretty big one.

But even so, the D200 is the new dslr body on my wish list. I need a new job . . .

Great, detailed review by Phil and thanks for the linkthumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    If Nikon was just a little more aggressive with their low light performance, the D200 would stand head and shoulders above everybody else. To me, that is the only shortfall - and it's a pretty big one.

But even so, the D200 is the new dslr body on my wish list. I need a new job . . .

Great, detailed review by Phil and thanks for the linkthumb.gif

I agree. The only thing I can see that needs any improvement at all would be high ISO noise. But honestly, looking at Phil's test shots and comparissons...it's really not too far off from the competition. To hear others talk about it, you'd think the D200 was totally worthless over ISO 800. Not so. If it was crap, the review would say so and it wouldn't be rated as 'Highly Recommended'.
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Three points from his conclusion...
    "Insufficient number of image parameter adjustments with little latitude"
    I wish he'd get out of that jpg shooter mindset when reviewing the big toys. I mean who's buying a D200 to shoot anything but RAW?headscratch.gif
    "Disappointing automatic white balance performance under artificial light"
    So it's the same as my old D100. rolleyes1.gif
    "Nikon Capture should be included with all 'pro' and 'semi-pro' cameras"
    Actually C1 or RSP should be included. Nikon Capture is a joke.
    "(Still) Very poor memory management and performance from optional Nikon Capture"
    He should have wrote a book on this one issue. It's the only thing I've ever bought from Nikon that was totally worthless. Keep in mind that I can run Inventor, C1, RSP, ect., all day every day with no problems. My system is so stable that I can go weeks without even rebooting! NC is a memory hog that knows no equal and to call it unstable is being generous at best.

I don't know why he's including that little bit in the review though. D200 shooters, the issue about encrypted NEF's, are any of you locked to NC or something?ne_nau.gif
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Three points from his conclusion...
    "Insufficient number of image parameter adjustments with little latitude"
    I wish he'd get out of that jpg shooter mindset when reviewing the big toys. I mean who's buying a D200 to shoot anything but RAW?headscratch.gif
    "Disappointing automatic white balance performance under artificial light"
    So it's the same as my old D100. rolleyes1.gif
    "Nikon Capture should be included with all 'pro' and 'semi-pro' cameras"
    Actually C1 or RSP should be included. Nikon Capture is a joke.
    "(Still) Very poor memory management and performance from optional Nikon Capture"
    He should have wrote a book on this one issue. It's the only thing I've ever bought from Nikon that was totally worthless. Keep in mind that I can run Inventor, C1, RSP, ect., all day every day with no problems. My system is so stable that I can go weeks without even rebooting! NC is a memory hog that knows no equal and to call it unstable is being generous at best.

I don't know why he's including that little bit in the review though. D200 shooters, the issue about encrypted NEF's, are any of you locked to NC or something?ne_nau.gif

I like NC and it's very stable for me. Not to disagree just pointing out that NC does work for many. NC's memory utilization is inline with CS2 for me...I can't wait to see NX tho. I'm hopeful it'll allow me to bag needing CS2 for anything.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    chuckice wrote:
    I like NC and it's very stable for me. Not to disagree just pointing out that NC does work for many. NC's memory utilization is inline with CS2 for me...I can't wait to see NX tho. I'm hopeful it'll allow me to bag needing CS2 for anything.

Once I get my 4 GB flash card (today), I'll start shooting raw. I've been using Gimp for Windows lately. For free, it's very nice and is rather quick. I'll have to check out the NX version of Capture when it's available. Capture is really slow on my machine. Saving files mainly.
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Once I get my 4 GB flash card (today), I'll start shooting raw. I've been using Gimp for Windows lately. For free, it's very nice and is rather quick. I'll have to check out the NX version of Capture when it's available. Capture is really slow on my machine. Saving files mainly.

Max your PC memory...for $50-$100 it's a no brainer and makes a huge difference.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."