D200-licious IN HAND OMG!

Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
edited February 23, 2006 in Cameras
Oh yes, it's true, I can't believe it, but it's true! This camera makes me proud to be a Nikonian! It's so smooth and the metering is telepathic! The color is rich without being oversaturated. This camera makes my D70 feel like a toy! The shutter release button isn't as nice as the one on the D70 but everything else is perfect! Having all the important adjustments at your fingertips instead of burried in menus is a REVELATION! And the sound of the shutter OHHHHHH (homer dognuts) It's a dampened and so sophisticated . The magnesium body is cold to the touch when you pick it up (I love that). And the battery grip makes repeated vertical shots uncommonly natural. I was a little nervous about the purchase at first but getting it in my hands has erased all reservation. I would buy it again! and again. Geneva here I come!:clap

hoping this message finds you well (and maybe a tad jealous) -Ian
Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    hoping this message finds you well (and maybe a tad jealous)

ohh, it does.thumb.gif

looks like you're gonna have alot of fun with it.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Congrats...you'll love it...
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Congratulations!
    Seems like you got yourself a nice piece of hardware:-)clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    ohh, it does.thumb.gif

looks like you're gonna have alot of fun with it.

Yeah, I've gotta get aquaited with it in a hurry!
    edited February 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Seems like you got yourself a nice piece of hardware:-)clap.gif

You are corrrect sir! (said like a game show host)
    edited February 23, 2006
    chuckice wrote:
    Congrats...you'll love it...

Thanks Chuck, I noticed in your profile you've got one. Have you found anything I should look out for ?ne_nau.gif
    edited February 23, 2006
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Thanks Chuck, I noticed in your profile you've got one. Have you found anything I should look out for ?ne_nau.gif

Looks like you won't have any gotchas with your glass. There's the whole banding thing that I assume you've read/heard about. I had one of the first units off the lot and mine did exhibit minor banding with a blown background. I sent it back to Nikon in Melville, NY and had it back in my hands and fully fixed in a calendar week. I can tell you how to try and reproduce the banding but there's about a thousand threads on dpreview and nikonians on the subject. Other than that it's been fantastic. Oh I did have one minor hiccup where my 70-200 was showing F0 on the aperture readout off and on. I cleaned the contacts and that made it all better...haven't seen it since. I do recommend getting a second battery since I've noticed that the LCD while big and beautiful eats the juice if you use it alot in the field. Great camera...it's smoking fast with my Nikon 200-400 f4.
    Charles
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    50856245-M.gif50856245-M.gif I'm not worthy to be in your presence 50856245-M.gif50856245-M.gif

Actually, according to the reviews, I'd love to be in your shoes, though.

Cool!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited February 23, 2006
    I'm not worthy to be in your presence

I wouldn't say that... Actually, the way I see it, I don't deserve & can't afford this camera... but I got it anyway!

(pssst...don't tell anyone but I'm really just a hack with a credit card :0 )

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    edited February 23, 2006
    chuckice wrote:
    Looks like you won't have any gotchas with your glass. There's the whole banding thing that I assume you've read/heard about. I had one of the first units off the lot and mine did exhibit minor banding with a blown background. I sent it back to Nikon in Melville, NY and had it back in my hands and fully fixed in a calendar week. I can tell you how to try and reproduce the banding but there's about a thousand threads on dpreview and nikonians on the subject. Other than that it's been fantastic. Oh I did have one minor hiccup where my 70-200 was showing F0 on the aperture readout off and on. I cleaned the contacts and that made it all better...haven't seen it since. I do recommend getting a second battery since I've noticed that the LCD while big and beautiful eats the juice if you use it alot in the field. Great camera...it's smoking fast with my Nikon 200-400 f4.

Wow I can't believe they fixed it that fast!

I haven't noticed any banding yet... but I did have to push the sharpness to+1 using the "custom" in camera profile to get the level of sharpness I like to see...
    edited February 23, 2006
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Wow I can't believe they fixed it that fast!

I haven't noticed any banding yet... but I did have to push the sharpness to+1 using the "custom" in camera profile to get the level of sharpness I like to see...

I've heard that some are taking longer but Nikon seems to be trying to turn around any D200 repairs pretty quickly. Enjoy the cam and post some pix!
    Charles
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Sounds like you like it... rolleyes1.gif

I felt the same way when I got mine. It really does feel great in your hands.
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Have you tried it with any non-cpu lenses yet? I'm wondering just how well the metering might be with f/1.0 or faster glass. I've found one user that is even using his with a 42mm f/0.75 Heligon but no real response from him on the accuracy of metering.

By the way, congrats. I actually am jealous. :D
    edited February 23, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Sounds like you like it... rolleyes1.gif

I felt the same way when I got mine. It really does feel great in your hands.

I think my wife's jealous of all the handling my camera's getting!mwink.gif

edited February 23, 2006
    Have you tried it with any non-cpu lenses yet? I'm wondering just how well the metering might be with f/1.0 or faster glass. I've found one user that is even using his with a 42mm f/0.75 Heligon but no real response from him on the accuracy of metering.

By the way, congrats. I actually am jealous. :D

The D200 has a menu setting where you can tell it what you've got screwed on to the front of it, I haven't used it yet as the closest thing I have to what your asking about is a 50mm 1.4. I walked outside and snapped a shot of the dumpster with it. The actually scene was a little warmer than what you see here, but it's really close!

It is possible intentionally trick the camera into a bad reading, (ie, spot metering the darkest part of the dumpster and blowing out the sky) but everything else I've shot has come out really well. Let me qualify that by saying that I've had the camera for about 30 hours 8 of those which were spent sleeping. But I have been floored by the accuracy of the metering system especially with the tricky stuff.

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    The D200 has a menu setting where you can tell it what you've got screwed on to the front of it, I haven't used it yet as the closest thing I have to what your asking about is a 50mm 1.4. I walked outside and snapped a shot of the dumpster with it. The actually scene was a little warmer than what you see here, but it's really close!

It is possible intentionally trick the camera into a bad reading, (ie, spot metering the darkest part of the dumpster and blowing out the sky) but everything else I've shot has come out really well. Let me qualify that by saying that I've had the camera for about 30 hours 8 of those which were spent sleeping. But I have been floored by the accuracy of the metering system especially with the tricky stuff.

Now that would be a tricky scene for my D100 or D70. I would override metering without even thinking about it. It's good to hear that the D200 can handle it better. Thanks for the reply. :):