Small bugs (long post)

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited February 24, 2006 in Holy Macro
Found there are still a lot of bugs about in Winter- they just get smaller :)
All taken at between 2:1 and 3.8:1 using my 105mmEX lens and extension tubes plus if necessary a closeup lens I obtained by by removing the front element of an old 35mm to 135mm zoom lens. All sizes are body length excluding legs/antennae.

Brian V.

Spider mite on an impatiens leaf (0.52mm)

98624681_5aaad82837.jpg

Globular Springtail (1.7mm)

99213763_b23480565e.jpg

Leaf hopper nymph ? ( 1.7mm)

99218165_5c8d5dcfdd.jpg

Springtail (2.3mm)

99213768_c818ef0040.jpg

Bark louse (2.8mm)

99696072_6ebb61eeae.jpg

Springtail #2 (2.8mm)

100805105_be226149b0.jpg

Money Spider (2.3mm)

98273624_6cc66cb548.jpg

Tiny wasp (2.3mm)

99218167_334c482fc6.jpg

Crab Spider (3.8mm)

100401127_89b909f039.jpg

Little and large springtails (small one 0.45mm long) standing on a pool of water

101118920_a6ef2ff919.jpg

Bark Louse nymph (1.45mm)

103373005_6dc5c29cc4_o.jpg

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    I think you are getting to good Brian. These are really spectacular. Did you focus stack any of these, the last one looks like you may have. The Globular Springtail is my favorite.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I think you are getting to good Brian. These are really spectacular. Did you focus stack any of these, the last one looks like you may have. The Globular Springtail is my favorite.
    Thanks Nick,
    Well spotted re- the focus stacking yes #1,2,4,7,and 11 were focus stacked. The DOF at these magnifications is a bit small :)

Brian V.

This is a pic of the biggest globular springtail I've seen yet (2.05mm long) walking on a table cloth

96724927_4634bc79f4_o.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Awww The Faces...... I Love Them
    Found there are still a lot of bugs about in Winter- they just get smaller :)
    All taken at between 2:1 and 3.8:1 using my 105mmEX lens and extension tubes plus if necessary a closeup lens I obtained by by removing the front element of an old 35mm to 135mm zoom lens. All sizes are body length excluding legs/antennae.

Brian V.

Spider mite on an impatiens leaf (0.52mm)
    Globular Springtail (1.7mm)
    Leaf hopper nymph ? ( 1.7mm)
    Springtail (2.3mm)
    Bark louse (2.8mm)
    Springtail #2 (2.8mm)
    Money Spider (2.3mm)
    Tiny wasp (2.3mm)
    Crab Spider (3.8mm)
    Little and large springtails (small one 0.45mm long) standing on a pool of water
    Bark Louse nymph (1.45mm)

Bugs just have he cutest faces I tell you and yours Brian are not exception, they are so unique.
    Your work is excellent, and your subjects just amazing clap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks for sharing your joy of Macro......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    The mite be small but still interesting!
    (Pun intended!):D

Great shots as usual Brian! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    I have a bit to learn......focus for something that small is REAL touchy I have found!!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
    edited February 24, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Bugs just have he cutest faces I tell you and yours Brian are not exception, they are so unique.
    Your work is excellent, and your subjects just amazing clap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks for sharing your joy of Macro......... Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks Skippy- I rather like some of these little cuties especially the globular springtails. :)
    Brian V.
    edited February 24, 2006

I have a bit to learn......focus for something that small is REAL touchy I have found!!!
    Thanks GraphyFotoz,
    Apart from the narrow DOF I've found it's not too bad shooting at high mags. I attach the closeup lens with a tube made out of camping matting, this not only holds the lens in place but helps with the focusing- I simply rest the lens on the surface and tilt the camera up- when I find the bug I can simply push against the spongy matting to get exactly the focus I want.
    Brian V.
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Spider mighty
    Way better than I was able to accomplish so far (see Spider Mite on 'Techniques').

I'm still pretty new with Macros. One of the top reasons why I bought the Nikon E5400 is that it can get as close as 0.4 inches to the subject. But am I right in suspecting that, the bigger the True macro lens, the better the depth of field?

Steve-o
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Excellent and informative as always i am glad you included names also thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited February 24, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Way better than I was able to accomplish so far (see Spider Mite on 'Techniques').

I'm still pretty new with Macros. One of the top reasons why I bought the Nikon E5400 is that it can get as close as 0.4 inches to the subject. But am I right in suspecting that, the bigger the True macro lens, the better the depth of field?
    Thanks,
    I think but am not certain that the only thing apart from aperture that affects DOF is the sensor size at any given magnification- the smaller the sensor the greater the DOF- so a normal dedicated macro lenses working on a DSLR will normally have a worse DOF than a P&S with a small sensor at the same magnification and aperture.
    I use focus stacking to overcome this limitation in some cases.
    Brian v.
    edited February 24, 2006
    Excellent and informative as always i am glad you included names also thumb.gif
    Thanks Awais, I try to give the names when I know them :)and the sizes.
    Brian V.