Some 3-D cross-eye sterogram macros

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited February 25, 2006 in Holy Macro
For those that can view them, some cross-eye steregrams. If these work you may want to try the larger ones in my gallery here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/sets/1571779/
Brian V.

100806779_3c3993c4c6.jpg

100076420_b11a9538df.jpg

100076417_59f2bb1b8d.jpg

99215968_558ec16bd0.jpg

99213764_712ed04f6c.jpg

103354168_d282fd1a24.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Dang It Brian !!
    For those that can view them, some cross-eye steregrams. If these work you may want to try the larger ones in my gallery here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/sets/1571779/
    Brian V.

I cannot for the love of it see those pictures how one is suppose to :cry
    You've told me numerous times how to do it but it just doesn't work for me.
    Awwwwwww cwap I say ! I love your work..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    clap.gif I love the 3-D shots!!!! Fantastic!

Now my eyes hurt. :oogle
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Nice...
    I especially like the effect of the flower and fly. Well done!clap.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Nice but what do you mean by 3d
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Nice but what do you mean by 3d
    You can view these as stereo images.
    Slightly defocus your eyes whilst staring at a pair of pics- cross your eyes as if you were looking at something very close and a third image should form in between the original two, relax your eyes to stabilise the third image which will be in 3-D stereo.
    Brian v.
    edited February 24, 2006
    shatch wrote:
    I especially like the effect of the flower and fly. Well done!clap.gif
    Thanks shatch- these 3D shots are great if you can view them. :)
    Brian V.
    edited February 24, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    I cannot for the love of it see those pictures how one is suppose to :cry
    You've told me numerous times how to do it but it just doesn't work for me.
    Awwwwwww cwap I say ! I love your work..... Skippy (Australia)
    Sorry about that Skippy- have you ever actually seen a third image form when you cross your eyes (between the two originals)?
    Brian v.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    I'm with Skippy on this, no matter how much or hard I try I still can't see the 3D. But I'm also one of those people who can't see the images hidden in those poster things, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Wishing I could experience 3D,

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 24, 2006
    Skippy,

Try holding your index finger about 8-10 inches in front of your face and fixate on the tip of your finger, while your finger is at the same height as the two images on the screen. Bigger images tend to be easier than small ones also.
    You will then see a third image, between the two on the screen, and gradually relax your focus, while keeping the image in view, and it will pop into three dimensions. See if this doesn't help you see the effect.

Very nice work, Brian.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    fantastic brianclap.gif

i've gotten so good at looking at these 3D images i can cross my eyes and they automaticly focusmwink.gif

BTW: the spider one w/ the water on the ground is my fav. the water droplets by him are so cool 3D!

whats your secret? how do you take these? just move the camera to the left a little for the 2nd shot?
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited February 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Skippy,

Try holding your index finger about 8-10 inches in front of your face and fixate on the tip of your finger, while your finger is at the same height as the two images on the screen. Bigger images tend to be easier than small ones also.
    You will then see a third image, between the two on the screen, and gradually relax your focus, while keeping the image in view, and it will pop into three dimensions. See if this doesn't help you see the effect.

Very nice work, Brian.
    Thanks Pathfinder- and for another method of viewing them.
    edited February 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    fantastic brianclap.gif

i've gotten so good at looking at these 3D images i can cross my eyes and they automaticly focusmwink.gif

BTW: the spider one w/ the water on the ground is my fav. the water droplets by him are so cool 3D!

whats your secret? how do you take these? just move the camera to the left a little for the 2nd shot?
    Thanks DanielB,
    No amazing secret- just do exactly as you suggest ie move the camera and take another pic- need to move it about 1/30th of the subject distance, so for these closeup macros that's not very much. I then use stereophotomaker (just google for it- freeware) to align the pictures properly- It's very important the objects in the pic are horizontally aligned. You can also play with the stereo separation in this.
    Brian v.
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Skippy,

Very nice work, Brian.

As an additional tip, and this is the basic principle of these pictures. Try looking with your right eye to the left picture, then crosseye untill your left eye sees the right picture. At that point your natural instinct wil be to uncrosseye, relax that instinct. The 3d pic will popup I promise.

XO,

ps. beautiful pictures
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 24, 2006
    XO-Studios wrote:
    As an additional tip, and this is the basic principle of these pictures. Try looking with your right eye to the left picture, then crosseye untill your left eye sees the right picture. At that point your natural instinct wil be to uncrosseye, relax that instinct. The 3d pic will popup I promise.

XO,

ps. beautiful pictures
    Good suggestion, XO!!

IF you are looking at your finger, then you SHOULD be seeing the left image with your right eye and vice versa. as you said.

Some folks - myself for one - just find it easier to converge on their fingertip first, and then view the stereo images.

Brian is also correct that the images must be at the same vertical height in the frames - humans converge pretty good horizontally, but vertical displacement will bonker most of us right away.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 24, 2006
    I've got a headache TTTTHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSS BIG!!!! eek7.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Hey Me Too
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I'm with Skippy on this, no matter how much or hard I try I still can't see the 3D. But I'm also one of those people who can't see the images hidden in those poster things, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Wishing I could experience 3D,

Eric

I cannot see those images hidden in those poster things either headscratch.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    It only took me about 5 min to get the hang of this. But then, I can see the images in the posters as well (now that was a fad - haven't seen one of those in years).

It is just so amazing to me the number of different ways that creativity is expressed with a camera. These are simply stunning and the 3d effect really makes them come alive!
    edited February 25, 2006
    Thanks for the comments all :)
    It's worth persevering to try and see the effect but not to the point of eye strain or headaches.
    Obviously I like the effect these give, it just makes the image look like the real thing on your screen so you are tempted to reach out and touch the subjects.
    Brian V.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    The fly/flower, spider and rock/fungus/shroom(?) pics are my favs. Well done as usual. thumb.gif I love them in 3D.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    I've never seen this type of thing before!
    I'm stunned! I love your little bug, and that drip - wow! thanks for sharing - I learned something new today!!!

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 25, 2006
    man was not meant to see in 3-d!!!!

(just kidding)

I'm with some of the others--I can't see these in 3-d but I also won't lose sleep over it--

these pictures in 2-d alone are worth looking at-

lordv, you're the best!

george
    edited February 25, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    The fly/flower, spider and rock/fungus/shroom(?) pics are my favs. Well done as usual. thumb.gif I love them in 3D.
    Thanks Tristan P
    The lump is a lichen on a pear tree branch.
    Brian V.
    edited February 25, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I'm stunned! I love your little bug, and that drip - wow! thanks for sharing - I learned something new today!!!

tessa
    Thanks Tessa :)
    Brian v.
    edited February 25, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    man was not meant to see in 3-d!!!!

(just kidding)

I'm with some of the others--I can't see these in 3-d but I also won't lose sleep over it--

these pictures in 2-d alone are worth looking at-

lordv, you're the best!

george
    Thanks George for the compliment- they come out a bit small for 2-D viewing though :)
    Brian v.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 25, 2006
    that's ok-

I can't see 3-d but I can see small-d-

george